Enough?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Moominmama

Enough?

Post by Moominmama »

Hello,
Have been lurking for a while, reading all this fab info, trying to remain calm but am now starting to worry whether we have done enough.
DS now in yr6, will sit test this year & is in a state primary who do no prep. After looking through this site, we started to prep just after Easter, practicing & playing word games kindly supplied on this website as well as working through the bond 10 minute tests for ages 10+-11+.
DS has now completed practice papers by Susan Daughtrey, IPS, Leopard & Walsh, with scores varying from 75% to 98%. In terms of difficulty which would you say were the most difficult - I'm trying to weigh up whether his scores are now of a level to be considered for GS, plus whether his nerve will hold out on the day :wink:
For the last month he has been practising the various question types that in his opinion he struggles with from the Bond verbal reasoning booklets 11+-12+ plus 10mins on the 11+ app on my phone and a GL paper once a week. We do nothing (prep wise) from Friday night to Sunday.
So as the test is rapidly approaching, my question is have we missed anything or is there any more we could be doing?
Thanks
Moominmama
stroudydad

Re: Enough?

Post by stroudydad »

Everyone will have their own opinion as to what is enough, you have certainly done a wide range of types and the scores look in the right ball park. Have you tried doing two tests back to back with a short break between (as will be required on the day)?
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Good advice from Stroudydad...this is worth doing once IMHO (back to back tests just for the experience).
I wouldn't do too near test time as it is quite hard going.
I always thought Walsh produced the hardest papers.
How much is enough is a good Q
I had someone ask me yesterday when would be a good time to start preparing for the test. Little did I know their DC was taking it in 3 weeks! I balked. Most children cannot do VR at the speed required in 3 weeks (although of course some do!)
Just remember to keep your child calm and ensure they have coping strategies for the day :D Good luck
4boysmom

Post by 4boysmom »

Just wanted to say best of luck to your DS
Moominmama

Post by Moominmama »

Thank you all for your great advice and kind wishes.
Have decided to really cut back now and to be fair he appears relaxed. He knows what he wants and visiting the schools this term has really helped him to focus, it has all become very real to him.

After your suggestions am now planning to do a back-to-back test on Saturday and if we come across any issues we will just work on those next week. Then nothing at all in that last week, just chill, early nights, lots of chocolate for him and the odd glass of wine for me :lol:

The nerves will get worse and I'm sure even worse, waiting for the results, so apologies now for any bizarre questions/posts.
the voice of reason

Post by the voice of reason »

Back-to-back is a good idea (must be because I had the same idea last time as well as this time!) but not necessarilty essential - Yes you have done more than enough prep. for the Glos tests.... I am sure an able and reasonably-prepared child will simply do as well as they are able to, provided they are not over-pressurised in the days leading up to the tests, and if it is good enough to get into a grammar school - Great - but if not, they have virtually a whole life ahead of them to prove themself in the world and in whatever school they go to next and beyond.... I know personally of at least five individuals who received no effective preparation and still got into a Glos Grammar School, but I would not recommend this sort of treatment of the candidate, as I recall one ultimately successful but unprepared candidate visibly shaking when he came out of the tests. Without some ftargetted preparation it is a bit of a shock even for the most able.The point being though, that any amount of preparation you do may be a lot more than others, but is also probably a lot less than some others as well. I am aware of highly and very expensivley tutored and over-prepared individuals finding themselves at very prestigious grammar schools and finding life very difficult, academically at least, thereafter. Not really faiur on them. A reasonable fairly minimal amount, as long as it is appropriate to the actual tests, is really all that will make any difference to an individual. Familiarity with the types of questions, and timing, are the keys with obvious exam techniques (read or be familar with the question's requirements, don't spend valuable time on questions causing problems - get to the end of the test if you can as the last few questions might be easier for you than some in the middle - so all the usual stuff). As you would concur I am sure I also strongly recommend reasonably quafable wine as a help for anxious guardians, but in moderation fo course! So it looks like you've got it just right as the others have indicated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now