Moving from an independent school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lolomimi

Moving from an independent school

Post by lolomimi »

Hi everyone

DD survived Saturday relatively unscathed as far as stress goes - she found the first paper much harder than the second, but that's about the limit of info she's felt inclined to share really, and I didn't want to interrogate her. We're trying to play things very cool and manage expectations so all outcomes can be tolerated next week! I was very impressed with how Pates ran the whole event.

We're in the situation that, for quite complicated reasons, our DD has been educated in an indie for her primary years. We were very much first time buyers (both DH and myself were educated in one of those bog-standard comps), and it has been an experience that we don't regret although it has been very challenging for us financially. So we're hoping that DD may achieve a place at a GS ( or a good local comp, if not) from year 7.

One of the things I have appreciated in the indie sector is the way in which sport and PE are such an integral part of life - from reception on they're taught the micro skills of several sports, and very soon offered lots of chances to play competitively, and I think this has led to a group of kids who are very comfortable with sport. I know for our DD it's just a given like maths and English and she likes it very much.

So, if there is one thing I will miss about the indie sector, it's that focus - but I wonder if actually it's a myth that sport is not so available in local GSs? I'd welcome hearing experiences of those with DCs already there. Do all girls have the chance to participate in teams etc, and do they do sport right through the school?

LM
fairweathergardener

Re: Moving from an independent school

Post by fairweathergardener »

When we went round all of the grammars we asked the questions about how much sport there was. Timetabled Denmark Road said 2 hours a fortnight but more in the lunch breaks. I think from memory that Pates was about 3 or 4 hours timetabledma fortnight. The independents seem to do about 4 hours a week and more if you have clubs or are in matches. I think the local comp did similar hours to the grammars. From what I gathered, you can do a lot of sport in the state schools, but you have to top up the timetabled with the clubs.
Last edited by fairweathergardener on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lolomimi

Re: Moving from an independent school

Post by lolomimi »

FWG

Thanks for your reply - that's interesting to hear. I did get the sense that there were lots of lunch time / after school clubs on offer which was reassuring.
LM
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now