Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:11 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:46 pm 

Following the STR result I am thinking Plan B....
We do not actually in Gloucestershire and will not be moving there in time to apply for a comp by 31 October.
So it will be a late application to a school when we move into the area.
We can move anywhere to be near to a good school - but don't know them... Can anyone recommend the best non-GS?
And it would be great if you could PM me any secondary schools to avoid!

We expect/want to move to Chelt or Gloucester.
I do know about Balcarras and it would be great if I could get DS in there but not sure how close I would have to live or what chance when we will be putting in a late application.

I also need to find an infant school for our younger children.

Plan A - I am still wondering about Crypt and appeals - we have seen a lovely house to buy very near to it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:49 pm 

PMed you. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:01 am 

Chosen Hill in Churchdown is the school my DD would have gone to instead. It's large though ofsted outstanding I believe. May be worth a look.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:53 am 

Thanks for PMs and replies.
WE are moving - if I wanted to be sure to get into Cheltenham Balcarras how far can I live from the school? Anyone know?
Is anywhere in the Charlton Kings Postcode safe?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:14 pm 

Chosen Hill is no longer Ofsted Outstanding, it went down to satisfactory, I believe. (Please check)

Balcarras have a complicated catchment that includes a line halfway between it and Bournside and a line halfway between it and Pittville. The school should be able to give you details.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:31 pm 

Ellen-Jane wrote:
Chosen Hill is no longer Ofsted Outstanding, it went down to satisfactory, I believe. (Please check)

I don't know Chosen Hill, but I strongly advise reading any Ofsted report - the reasons for a drop in 'standards' can be due to things unlikely to affect your child - for instance, poor SEN provision will probably not affect a brighter child.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:55 pm 

capers123 wrote:
I don't know Chosen Hill, but I strongly advise reading any Ofsted report - the reasons for a drop in 'standards' can be due to things unlikely to affect your child - for instance, poor SEN provision will probably not affect a brighter child.

I always feel poor SEN provision says a lot about the ethos of a school. Judging them by how they treat their most vulnerable pupils etc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:02 pm 

Ellen-Jane wrote:
capers123 wrote:

I always feel poor SEN provision says a lot about the ethos of a school. Judging them by how they treat their most vulnerable pupils etc.

All schools have strengths & weaknesses. I know of some schools that have great SEN provisions but where the rest of the school felt almost drowsey and who don't have great results for the top set. Then there are some who work hard to get their mid-range pupils to pass exams to the detriment of the more able pupils.

Really I'm trying to say "don't judge a school just by its Ofsted headlines". Go and look at all the local schools, see how they feel during a working day and how that might suit your child.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:06 pm 

My DS is at Chosen Hill with a Statement and the SEN provision is amazing. He is doing great and I would not send him anywhere else. We did consider a grammar school.

Regarding ofsted, yes Capers is correct in saying that their latest Ofsted is Satisfactory. Please visit the school and make your own decision. One thing ofsted were saying was that children are above average on admission and need to make more progress. The school have made some noticeable changes already and it was packed at open evening. So many applications every year.

I am a firm believer that a school has to be right for your child, that is why we chose it over GS.

I would have quite happily have sent my DD there if she had not passed for HSFG, her choice and the right school for her.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:32 pm 

Okmum, I didn't know anything about Chosen Hill's SEN provision, I was just commenting on Caper's post. I'm glad your DS is doing well there. It is worth remembering, I suppose, that SEN doesn't necessarily mean low ability. :)