Please advise - twilight zone....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Appealing!!

Re: Please advise - twilight zone....

Post by Appealing!! »

Amber wrote:
stevew61 wrote:Sorry. :oops: So if you don't "share" you are kind of saying you're not interested so the school says we won't consider you if you later list us on your CAF?

lolomimi sorry to hijack your thread and I hope you can get a place that your DC deserves. :)
I think they need to know in advance so they can carry out their standardisation procedures on the cohort who is actually interested in the school. If you asked them to take your score into account after the results had been released, there would be a knock on effect which could mean someone who had been told they had attained a pass mark was suddenly below it. Does this make sense? It is a ****** silly system but you kind of get used to it. Many parents share with every school to max their chances of a grammar, any grammar, and also to get more information in the event of being in twilight.

You can phone me if you like :lol: but I seem not to be able to get this across. Sorry. :oops: :oops:
The following is laborious and may be repeating what has already been put in another way much better somewhere here: If so: Sorry! But hopefully this is accurate and informative, but possibly not very helpful in the end. The passmark is not actually a passmark is it? As with others I have been guilty of referring to it as such, but it is an erroneous description, because you have not passed for anything if you get that score. So it is a 'qualifying score' in that it effectively 'enables you' to be considered for the relevant school if you achieve it. It still does not even guarantee you anything. Furthermore it is an artificial score that is created by application of a statistical formula (independently applied for each school) to the scores achieved by the candidates who have agreed to share their results with that school. So the decisions to share the results directly affects what the 'qualifying score' will be. Furthermore anyone who achieves the 'qualifying score' for any school in a year will almost certainly not have got the same raw scores (that is the same total number of correct answers from the tests) as those candidates who achieved exactly the same 'qualifying score' for the same school in any other year. I expect someone has put this a whole lot clearer somewhere else, but it is a 'clear as mud' system in many ways, although the statistical element is probably quite well designed in terms of a selective process, but there are other variables (such as the papers themselves, and marking systems, and who choses to select what schools to 'share their results' with) which might not be so perfect as the statistical hijinks!.
willow_catkin

Re: Please advise - twilight zone....

Post by willow_catkin »

dizzy mum wrote:DD has passed with 211 HSFG, 222 (ranked 237)SHS and 221 Ribstone. Is there any chance of her getting SHS? She loved the school when we looked round and is very disappointed with her result. I keep telling her how well she has done to pass but she is yet to be convinced!

My DD is currently at SHS having been exactly the same rank last year and got offered her place on March 1. This year's results seem very much the same as last years so i would say she has a chance. Just the horrible wait now to March 1 ...