Thinking of an appeal - help please!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PaterGloucester

Re: Thinking of an appeal - help please!

Post by PaterGloucester »

capers123 wrote: If 6000 total, then 120 * 7 schools. = 'top' 14%.
Ergo this represents 'top' [your parentheses are correct] 2%–14% ?
Orson

Post by Orson »

Doesn't this presume that none of the 4000 who don't sit the test would pass it if they did sit it? :?
platypus

Post by platypus »

r
Last edited by platypus on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

platypus wrote:So being selected as top 20% in Kent could be helpful in an appeal if you were going after Ribston or Crypt?
The appeals panel would be able to see that from the CAT scores.
Capers
Appealing!!

Post by Appealing!! »

Please forgive laziness (if these questions have been answered already somewhere on the forum) but my time has been so consumed over the past two weeks with all of this that I have no time left to search. Also please forgive the length of the following sentence (question) but if anyone can give me 'informed' answers I would really appreciate it (and I am sure they may be useful to others).

Thanks so much in advance if you can respond.

Warning: Long sentence imminent.....!!

Have any DC achieving less than (but very close to) the qualifying score for a school, ever been offered a place at a Gloucestershire grammar school following the processing of the CAF preferences, where the school does not have enough qualified candidates to fill their intake quota, OR... will everyone, where their DC has not achieved the qualifying score, have to go to appeal to try and secure any of the vacant places?
Dixon

Post by Dixon »

Over the last few years Crypt have done this. This has been by half to one mark depending on how many places they have.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Appealing!! wrote:Have any DC achieving less than (but very close to) the qualifying score for a school, ever been offered a place at a Gloucestershire grammar school following the processing of the CAF preferences, where the school does not have enough qualified candidates to fill their intake quota, OR... will everyone, where their DC has not achieved the qualifying score, have to go to appeal to try and secure any of the vacant places?
If the schools are following their Admissions Procedures correctly, then the answer must be no - the schools are wholly selective - admission should only be by being deemed suitable by way of passing the 11+.

I've heard about Crypt in the past, and am not sure how they would justify what they do if a parent decided to take them to court or the SFA.

As far as I am aware, all the other Grammars play it by the book. The only way in if not having passed is via an appeal. An appeal panel will look at all the evidence submitted by both sides - academic & other from the parents - to make its mind up on each appeal. Where the 11+ is a yes/no, fairly crude instrument, an appeal is more subtle.
Capers
Appealing!!

Post by Appealing!! »

capers123 wrote:
Appealing!! wrote: As far as I am aware, all the other Grammars play it by the book. The only way in if not having passed is via an appeal. An appeal panel will look at all the evidence submitted by both sides - academic & other from the parents - to make its mind up on each appeal. Where the 11+ is a yes/no, fairly crude instrument, an appeal is more subtle.

Many thanks Capers. This confirms what I thought, and once again your wisdom and knowledge is invaluable. Is there any good professional advice available out there, on appeals. I may not need that as I know there is much on this forum, and I will be spending a lot of time looking at it all, but I want my DD to go to a school which I know will be good for her (and her for it?!) where I know she will cope well, and not to one where I am very uncertain about her likely progress, and I will do whatever I can to try to achieve that aim.
Willow18

Post by Willow18 »

What is CAF?
I heard lowest score last year was 189 to Ribston and they were still undersubscribed.
Appealing!!

Post by Appealing!! »

Willow18 wrote:What is CAF?
I heard lowest score last year was 189 to Ribston and they were still undersubscribed.
Do the scores matter at all, or do they not at appeal? I am puzzled by this.
CAF = Common Application Form: The form you need to complete and submit to the LEA with your 4 school preferences for your DC by the end of October..
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now