Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:18 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Ribston
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:47 am
Posts: 6
Hi If Ribston/HSFG does not fill 114? places will they offer to the ones who score less than 210?
What about SHS And Crypt?

Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ribston
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:28 am
Posts: 1773
librarian wrote:
Hi If Ribston/HSFG does not fill 114? places will they offer to the ones who score less than 210?
What about SHS And Crypt?

Thanks.


I believe that they will not. You have to exceed the pass mark to be considered. Even if they "have spaces" they do not have to fill them with those who didn't have the required pass mark. If you have not, then it is possible to appeal, but other will be more knowledgeable on this subject.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ribston
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 8:03 pm
Posts: 1827
Location: Gloucestershire
No. They can not offer if the child has not attained the pass mark. Selective schools are allowed to be under subscribed and as I understand it, Ribston was 30 or 40 under 114 a couple of years ago. If this was not the case, then it wouldn't be a selective school. They could take average children, rather than only bright ones!

The ONLY way to get a place if your child has NOT attained the pass mark is to appeal come March.

It would be helpful if you could add your questions in future to your previous posts rather than starting a new topic, and only post each question once, in one topic - otherwise we all read it more than once.

_________________
Capers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ribston
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:47 am
Posts: 6
Hi

Apologies is the first time i used this forum. I believe it should help!!!! no make hurtful comments!!!!
Please tell capers that not only the bright ones 'pass the test'. As a teacher myself, I believe this test has double sides
My little one has 'A' in Literacy, Maths, and every subject at school. I heard that HSFG offered to '205' score a place in the years before.
So, just to check playground info.
Thanks anyway.

I known some children receive tutorial for years or months to grammar school. I :oops: It is very costly, and my little one didn't.

Thanks : : Depressed mum


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ribston
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:25 pm
Posts: 1360
I had already tried to point out that you kept asking the same questions...So to say that Someone has said hurtful comments is frankly a disgrace. Sometimes we do not get nice answers to our questions, but the answer is still the same nonetheless. The people on here are very helpful and everyone of them wishes the best for others. I for one am glad of this place.. Rant over.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ribston
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 8:03 pm
Posts: 1827
Location: Gloucestershire
librarian wrote:
Apologies is the first time i used this forum. I believe it should help!!!! no make hurtful comments!!!!

I'm never rude on here, nor do I make hurtful comments. I can't work which bit was hurtful of what I said.
Quote:
Please tell capers that not only the bright ones 'pass the test'.

Indeed, ones who are not so bright do pass the test through being heavily tutored. Even heavy tutoring is no guarantee of success. I knew one child who had private tutoring every day for over a year, did extra work as well and spent a lot of weekends & holidays working, yet still didn't pass - that is an extreme case, though.

Likewise, bright children don't always pass the test for a whole variety of reasons. The 11+ is a blunt iinstrument. It gives a yes/no answer based on how that child did in that room on that day. This is why there are Appeals Panels - to listen to parents saying that their child has not passed, and saying why a place should be allowed for them.

Quote:
As a teacher myself, I believe this test has double sides
My little one has 'A' in Literacy, Maths, and every subject at school. I heard that HSFG offered to '205' score a place in the years before.
So, just to check playground info.

Playground gossip is so often wrong - they don't have the full story. HSFG can not offer a place to a score below 210/216 or whatever the pass mark is for that school. They may have children with that score in the school, but as I said before, they can only get in via an appeal.

Quote:
I known some children receive tutorial for years or months to grammar school. I :oops: It is very costly, and my little one didn't.

If your childs CAT scores are good - ideally in the 7th to 9th stanine - (you're a teacher, so you'll know all about CATs, stanines & SATS) and your duaghters predicted SAT scores are all level 5's, then you'll have a reasonable chance at an appeal; you will also be up against other bright children who didn't pass. An appeal is free of charge. It can not start until after a place has been declined on national allocation day in March.

We try to be helpful & friendly here, point people in the right direction if we don't know an answer (or in my case, am not allowed to help), share helpful advice, and clear up mis-information and urban myths.

_________________
Capers


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ribston
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:05 am
Posts: 580
Hear hear SD and Capers, I seriously think I would have lost my (rather tiny) mind last year without this forum, hence trying to give as much help by pm or otherwise this year. We don't always agree, but we are in the main polite and supportive.
I am sorry that the OP doesn't feel this.
:?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ribston
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:45 am
Posts: 77
Well said. I am sure it is terrible to have a child get a result that you don't feel is deserved and sure some children are heavily tutored at huge cost. I spent about £100 on child 1 and reused most materials on child 2, spending an additional £50 or so. Oh and my time. You are a teacher so in the best position to DIY. I am not and work full time. The world is sadly not fair and no amount of rephrasing a question will get you the answer you want if its not there to give.
If you believe your child deserves a GS place and something went wrong on the day then this forum is the place to get all the info you will need to appeal and all the moral support you need to get through that difficult time.
Just don't forget that we are in the fortunate position in Gloucestershire to have many fantastic and diverse schools and that wherever your child goes, with supportive parents and natural ability, they are sure to do their best.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ribston
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:37 am
Posts: 21
Occasionally there is a little bit of banter on here, but it is certainly never meant to be hurtful, I am sure of that. We can all be over-sensitive when it comes to our children's futures and any uncertainty surrounding that. Capers has offered much help and advice on here, and made well-informed statements which have helped many many people, including us, and that is why there was a bit of a reaction to the post.
'Don't shoot the messenger' should always be brought to mind when receiving informaton on this forum, and always beware of believing too much 'gossip' style data. Lots of things get repeated on this forum and the following has probably been stated many times but it is easier to access information from the latest posts, so I am repeating it. Warning! Long sentence, and repetition of info. imminent- Sorry, I can't help it.... !!!
If a candidate (DS or DD) has not scored the 'pass mark', or 'qualifying score' for a particular school then there is only one avenue that is supposed to be open to them, and they need to wait until after the 'Day of Judgement', Allocation Day, in March 2013, when, technically the candidate should not be offered a place in the selective school, unless any particular school for its own reasons, right or wrong, has chosen not to adhere to the agreed (I believe amongst the schools and LEA) laid-down framework.
That avenue is the appeal pocess, about which Capers and others on this forum know a huge amount. If a school is adhering to the agreement, which we can only assume or suppose it is, unless substantiated information comes to us otherwise, we have to accept that our DS or DD has, for whatever reason (and there are hundreds of possible ones), not acheived the necessary result to be considered for a place at the selective school.
Now, we, personally (Mum and Dad) are absolutely clear in our minds that our DD would thrive in the selective school she and we would like her to attend, and that she has the academic ability and character to do really well there. But she achieved just under the qualifying score for the school, and could probably have achieved it (by normal probability rules) if she had only spent half a minute randomly marking her unanswered questions, as there were quite a few in the first test, and from her 'score versus questions answered' she had clearly been very accurate with the questions she did answer (so very well done her for that!). So (hard though it is) we have to accept all that for now, and from what we have learnt and know, the only way we can now achieve a place at that school we desire and choose for her, is to present a very good case for her at an appeal, and, if we do that successfully, then hope that there will be a place for her there. However: If we are unsuccessful (which I don't rreally want to contemplate at the moment) we, as parents, will have to ensure that she receives every encouragement and opportunity possible to achieve her potential (which we believe is great) wherever she goes to secondary school.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ribston
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:08 am
Posts: 125
Appealing!! wrote:
Occasionally there is a little bit of banter on here, but it is certainly never meant to be hurtful, I am sure of that. We can all be over-sensitive when it comes to our children's futures and any uncertainty surrounding that. Capers has offered much help and advice on here, and made well-informed statements which have helped many many people, including us, and that is why there was a bit of a reaction to the post.
'Don't shoot the messenger' should always be brought to mind when receiving informaton on this forum, and always beware of believing too much 'gossip' style data. Lots of things get repeated on this forum and the following has probably been stated many times but it is easier to access information from the latest posts, so I am repeating it. Warning! Long sentence, and repetition of info. imminent- Sorry, I can't help it.... !!!
If a candidate (DS or DD) has not scored the 'pass mark', or 'qualifying score' for a particular school then there is only one avenue that is supposed to be open to them, and they need to wait until after the 'Day of Judgement', Allocation Day, in March 2013, when, technically the candidate should not be offered a place in the selective school, unless any particular school for its own reasons, right or wrong, has chosen not to adhere to the agreed (I believe amongst the schools and LEA) laid-down framework.
That avenue is the appeal pocess, about which Capers and others on this forum know a huge amount. If a school is adhering to the agreement, which we can only assume or suppose it is, unless substantiated information comes to us otherwise, we have to accept that our DS or DD has, for whatever reason (and there are hundreds of possible ones), not acheived the necessary result to be considered for a place at the selective school.
Now, we, personally (Mum and Dad) are absolutely clear in our minds that our DD would thrive in the selective school she and we would like her to attend, and that she has the academic ability and character to do really well there. But she achieved just under the qualifying score for the school, and could probably have achieved it (by normal probability rules) if she had only spent half a minute randomly marking her unanswered questions, as there were quite a few in the first test, and from her 'score versus questions answered' she had clearly been very accurate with the questions she did answer (so very well done her for that!). So (hard though it is) we have to accept all that for now, and from what we have learnt and know, the only way we can now achieve a place at that school we desire and choose for her, is to present a very good case for her at an appeal, and, if we do that successfully, then hope that there will be a place for her there. However: If we are unsuccessful (which I don't rreally want to contemplate at the moment) we, as parents, will have to ensure that she receives every encouragement and opportunity possible to achieve her potential (which we believe is great) wherever she goes to secondary school.


If there is a successful appeal, do the school increase the no. of seats?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016