Grammar School intake

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

livviloo

Re: Grammar School intake

Post by livviloo »

I would rather pay someone to clean my house! I guess we just outsource the things we chose to make our family life more enjoyable
capers123

Post by capers123 »

livviloo wrote:And no, Pater, £20 is not much, especially when you notice the price of fags and a nice bottle of plonk. (for the record I don't smoke!)
Also the price of a halfway decent bottle of gin, or 1.5l of cheap 'cooking' gin. Hot chocolate with gin makes a nice nightcap (though better with Dutch Jenever).
Capers
PaterGloucester

Post by PaterGloucester »

capers123 wrote:
livviloo wrote: Hot chocolate with gin makes a nice nightcap (though better with Dutch Jenever).
Ever tried bessenjenever, the blackcurrant variety ? Delicious.

I love the concept of 'cooking' gin: that must be the reason we get through so much of it. :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think late night hot chocolate (must be Charbonnel and Walker) is better with a shot of brandy, personally. And you must use full fat milk too.

What is this thread about?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I prefer just the brandy Amber, (at the fear of sounding posh) it has to be a decent one though.
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:I prefer just the brandy Amber, (at the fear of sounding posh) it has to be a decent one though.
A man I knew once bulk-bought brandy in Spain in plastic naked-woman shaped bottles, to serve at his daughter's wedding. 'Very good stuff', apparently. Would you like me to put you in touch?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

My daughter is only ten.. :-)
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:My daughter is only ten.. :-)
I'm sure liquor of this quality would improve with age...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

livviloo wrote:I'm not a musician but both my DH and myself are "academic". I like to think, at the moment, I stand there as the "principal" in VR :D

the problem with trying to help your kids with VR and NVR is that if you can just "do it" yourself, it can be quite difficult to help someone else to learn how to do it ... unless you are an experienced teacher or tutor.

fortunately DCs could just "do it" too so no problem with me struggling to explain it or getting frazzled if they couldn't understand my cross eye logic :lol:

... now calculus is another matter (I've forgotten what to do!)
capers123

Post by capers123 »

PaterGloucester wrote:Ever tried bessenjenever, the blackcurrant variety ? Delicious.
Too sweet for me, as is citroenjenever. A nice light jonge is good for a starter, moving to some oude of corenwijn later in the evening. Quite keen on Wenneker's zeer oude, though Nolet's Ketel 1 is my favourite (cheapish) jonge - odd, as the vodka over here is thought of as a premium brand.

The National Jenever Museum in Hasselt, Belgium is an interesting visit, with soft drinks in the tasting cafe (prooflocale) at the end for children.

Last year I did knock up a lot of quince gin (ingredients: grated quince, gin) , and still have 2l left for this winter; sadly the quince tree in the back garden had no fruit this year.

Apologies for going a tad off-topic - I beg your indulgence.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now