Telegraph - Grammar School Tests to be made Tutor-proof

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: Telegraph - Grammar School Tests to be made Tutor-proof

Post by Amber »

yoyo123 wrote:
dr.watson wrote:How much does an independent school cost?
it depends on the school, it can vary enormously
http://www.halladayeducationgroup.com/buysellschool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Think you can get a small prep for a few million.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Amber wrote:
yoyo123 wrote:
it depends on the school, it can vary enormously
http://www.halladayeducationgroup.com/buysellschool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Think you can get a small prep for a few million.
Snort. Guffaw. Laughs (rather explosively) out loud.

Most prep schools in Gloucestershire are not 11+ mills; often they're used because parents are not happy that their children are not getting the support they need at a state primary as they are in the SEN spectrum, their average children are not doing as well as the parents assumed they would do, or their parents are aiming for a top public school - all manner of reasons. Private schools are just as 'comprehensive' as state schools in the ability & behaviour of the children.

There are one or two, though, who have advertised in the local press in the past of their success in the 11+.
Capers
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

There are one or two, though, who have advertised in the local press in the past of their success in the 11+.
Or in the case of a small Indie in , a big sign on the main road. Incidentally the same school proudly boasts of their timetabled VR lessons as a part of the curriculum in order to achieve their 92% 11+ pass rate.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

There is plenty of time in the moribund curriculum for all state schools to offer timetabled VR lessons. In areas where there are grammar schools failure to do so is damaging to the future chances of their pupils and they should be placed in special measures with a change of leadership
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

In Kent the change needs to come from the LA.
Nomore11+

Post by Nomore11+ »

Approx 9k a year for a junior school
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Grammar, comp, indie they all have to pass the same GCSEs or Baccalerate or whatever they are introducing, and so I don't see the argument about they may struggle. They are all working towards the same exam and so the parent just needs to decide on the school and whether they like co-ed or separate schools.

Sunshine 11
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Nomore11+ wrote:
Approx 9k a year for a junior school
plus another few £k here
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

stroudydad wrote:
Stressed?Moi? wrote:A study published last month revealed that one-in-seven places at state grammars are taken by pupils who have transferred in from fee-paying schools.

Research by Prof David Jesson, from York University’s department for economics, found that at 25 grammars, at least 30 per cent of places went to former private school pupils.

Just read article again. Maths not being my strong point but doesn't this mean that for the one-in-seven places "taken" by fee-paying students, 6 are taken by state schools. Also, that the 30 per cent of places that went to former private school pupils, 70 per cent did not? Not really a complete takeover by indie kids surely?
Hi Stressed, those figures seem not to add up (1 in 7 is about 15%),Or have I misread?
It's presumably 1 in 7 overall - and over 30% at the 25 which take the highest proportion from independents. In fact 30% obviously isn't anywhere near the top figure. I just happened to stumble across this today while looking for something else - for 2011 entry King Edward VI Grammar School, Chelmsford - Published Admission Number = 112, places offered to children from independent schools = 44 (39%). (source)
Vio125

Post by Vio125 »

I think that the evidence is clear - more indie children do get into grammar schools overall - but that is because so many sit the test and many parents who cannot afford secondary private choose indie in the hope that this will assist with entry into grammar.

There is an indie in Chelt which states on their website that they prep children for grammar - they get at least 75% of their children into grammar every year and a few years ago got 12 into Pate's (that's 10% of their intake).

Most state primaries do not have a significant number of children that sit the test. I am not aware of any state school that has a 75% success rate? (shoot me down if I am wrong!) My children go to a very good state primary but not everyone is so lucky - we would have chosen the indie route if necessary.