How well is bullying handled in our schools ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: How well is bullying handled in our schools ?

Post by Amber »

Etienne wrote:It's certainly an important topic.

We could move it somewhere else, and leave a 'shadow' here in Glos. - but where do we move it to?
General 11+? Everything else?

Does the forum need a 'pastoral care' section? :idea:

:?:
Personally I think something like that would be a marvellous idea; showing that it isn't just academic issues which affect children. There are actually 2 active bullying threads at the moment, and I haven't searched all the regional fora. Things like friendship groups, what age to allow make-up, how to talk to schools about medical problems etc, which all come up on the forum regularly, are worthwhile subjects which maybe don't benefit from being mixed in with things about TV programmes or Christmas presents.

I only mentioned having the thread moved as I thought some of the points were worthy of a wider audience...maybe EE is the obvious place unless you do go for a new section. :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, Amber.

I've been consulting other mods, and it's likely we'll try out a Pastoral Care section. As you say, pastoral issues tend to get buried away in general sections such as EE. I think they deserve a much higher profile.

With regard to this specific topic on bullying, I'll copy it across to the new section when it's available, but also leave a copy here, so Glos. members can choose whether they want to post on a Glos. thread, on a more general one, or on both!

I have considered whether to try and separate out the posts on here, but it's not always entirely clear what is meant to be 'Glos. specific', and what is meant to be 'general'. There's also the problem that if a 'general' post were to be removed, there might be a 'Glos. specific' response which makes less sense in the absence of the previous post!
Etienne
PaterGloucester

Post by PaterGloucester »

Might it not be simpler to start a new thread with a summary of the issues, and allow previous posters to raise their points as appropriate ?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Much easier to copy the thread across than to write a summary that fairly reflects all the points raised! :)
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The new section for general discussion of issues related to pastoral care is now available:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=68" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Someone has been working very hard - thank you, Etienne and anyone else involved.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, KS10.
Wish I could claim credit for spending all night on it, but once Programmer had set up the new section, it took me less than 5 seconds to move or copy each topic! :oops:

Much appreciate your and Amber's support for this initiative. I recall that back in 2007 I supported the decision to create a special section for SEN matters (which up to then had similarly been buried away in 'Everything Else').
I feel sure it is right now to have a separate section for general discussion of pastoral matters (while leaving members free to raise issues in the regional sections if they prefer).

As far as this particular thread is concerned, I hope everyone is content - nothing has been diluted, and everyone is free to choose whether to post here or over in Pastoral Care!
Etienne
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Great idea, Etienne, thanks. And thanks to KS10 and Amber for the suggestion.

These threads on bullying on the Gloucs forum were some of the most thought-provoking I have read and there was lots of mature debate which warranted wider dissemination.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

It wasn't my idea. Amber suggested it. I simply agreed with her. Do you think she'll notice if I take credit for it? :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

KS10 wrote:It wasn't my idea. Amber suggested it. I simply agreed with her. Do you think she'll notice if I take credit for it? :)
I will. Though if you read carefully, the glory really lies elsewhere. I just hope someone will actually use the new forum now. Otherwise I might need some pastoral support of my own.

Thanks Etienne and Programmer. The new forum looks great and must have taken some time to sort out. I just hope there is demand enough to keep it going.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now