CEM Tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Okanagan

Re: CEM Tests

Post by Okanagan »

Bearing in mind that those taking it would be approx 16 months older than those taking it for real, and all passed a different format 11+, then if they're mostly finding it difficult it gives you some idea of the level expected.
JsMum

Post by JsMum »

My DS took it at Pate's and said that he thought it was easier than the VR test. He said that he completed everything in the time except the maths section.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

purr
Last edited by FluffyCat on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

It probably wasn't a wise thing to do but looking at the Birmingham site re: CEM tests there was a reference to the Lancaster Grammar School entrance paper and a link to it - I took a look :shock: This might be my final post on here because what I saw was so far removed from what I'm used to looking at for my DS for this October that I'm not sure my DD would stand a chance. The questions are so varied and the time allowed is so short I'm not sure it's worth the risk of moving for my DS if my DD then has to take such a different entrance exam. Does anyone know if the Glouc GS are proposing anything like the Lancaster School entrance test or was that just put in the Birmingham CEM posts to frighten innocents like me :lol:
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

CEM would usually be a longer comprehension passage (or it has sometimes been 2 shorter ones) rather than 5 short ones like that example. But the style of questions is about right. There wouldn't be 35 minutes worth of comprehension, and there are other components such as a cloze exercise, and other vocabulary based questions too. But the time pressure is definitely an element. Also NVR which isn't on the Lancaster paper.

Remember it's the same for everbody - and the pass mark for a typical CEM paper is a lot lower than for conventional VR for example - around 60% would get a place in most CEM tests.
willow_catkin

Post by willow_catkin »

feedback from SHS is that it was harder than VR - and this is from some girls who passed to Pates

presumably it is just a different set of skills so some will find it easier, others harder.

are we sure that it will be VR for this october? The only thing I can find is on Marling website which still refers to the GL assessment practice papers ... all other schools are silent on the issue :(
capers123

Post by capers123 »

willow_catkin wrote:are we sure that it will be VR for this october? The only thing I can find is on Marling website which still refers to the GL assessment practice papers ... all other schools are silent on the issue :(
I would have thought that the current arrangements will continue this year.
Capers
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

This is now officially starting to feel personal, with me being the proud owner of 2 guinea pigs!

After the VR trauma with DD, a new set of challenges for 2014 for DS with the new CEM exam. And of course, many of our DCs will be the first of the new 'O' level exams when it's their turn.

Would have preferred to have been the follow-on years rather than pioneers!
thisandthat3

Post by thisandthat3 »

DS took it at Pates last week and thought that as a test it felt easier than the 11+. I wonder if it was a 12+ version to fit their age or not? Just a random thought.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I don't know of any CEM areas which have 12+. And I'd be surprised if they'd have written a whole new paper just for a trial. So these are probably recycled papers which have been used for 11+ in other areas. So they ought to feel easier to kids 16 months older than those who'd be taking them in a "live" situation.