Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:04 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:08 am
Posts: 125
But does these stats matter? How should we select the best schools that our DCs should go to?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21171282


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 am
Posts: 58
r


Last edited by platypus on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:48 pm
Posts: 148
I didn't comment when the BBC table was posted on here as I find the information ambiguous. How can we compare the results based on a percentage of passes ranging from A* - C. If 98% of pupils scored a C and the remainder scored D's they would appear above a school that had 97% scoring A*'s with the remaining 3% scoring D's. Now we have the Telegraph tables and Pates doesn't even appear. I know they did well so what's happened to the figures in this new table? I just find the tables ambiguous to say the least. It's a shame as they could be more transparent (and consistent!) which would be a bit more useful.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 5922
Well the official line is this (taken from Pates website)
Quote:
Pate's is normally at the top of these measures, however this year we are unlikely to feature. The reason for this is that we took the decision to follow an iGCSE qualification in English, and at present the DfE does not recognise this syllabus in its tables (we expect this to change in 2015).
Odd, as I could have sworn they did AQA English last year...
It will be the same with STRS who do iGCSEs in many subjects too, so they wouldn't be counted. STRS also (rather healthily imho) doesn't insist on Ebacc, and so would score low on that particular 'measure of excellence'. A bucketful of salt is needed when looking at league tables anyway - this is just one factor that muddies the waters this time round. Higher achieving schools have turned more and more to iGCSE, so the ones 'at the top' are likely actually to be slightly 'lower'. Do we care?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 am
Posts: 58
r


Last edited by platypus on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:08 am
Posts: 125
littlebaker wrote:
I didn't comment when the BBC table was posted on here as I find the information ambiguous. How can we compare the results based on a percentage of passes ranging from A* - C. If 98% of pupils scored a C and the remainder scored D's they would appear above a school that had 97% scoring A*'s with the remaining 3% scoring D's. Now we have the Telegraph tables and Pates doesn't even appear. I know they did well so what's happened to the figures in this new table? I just find the tables ambiguous to say the least. It's a shame as they could be more transparent (and consistent!) which would be a bit more useful.


If the information is Ambiguous, why is it published widely? What is the solution otherwise? I agree with your comments that I am not sure where the school will appear on the tables in the example that you've provided but what is the best criteria to look if A*-C is not? Please advise.

Many thanks,
Dr. Watson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 5922
platypus wrote:
I noticed that STR had taken the decision recently to reduce some broadness to focus more on grades.
:?:
Not sure what you mean - if you are referring to the idea that boys can choose a free study period instead of a GCSE then that is true, but I wouldn't call it reducing breadth; rather an acknowledgement that actually you don't need GCSEs in double figures. Universities only look at the best 8 and in my view there is absolutely no need to be doing 11 or 12 GCSEs. I think the option of free study time instead of yet another exam is fabulous and I really wish schools would do fewer GCSEs and allow kids to breathe a bit.

Dr Watson - league tables are by their very nature ambiguous because you are never comparing like with like. They are a sales tool in a world where education is marketed as a commodity in the same way as dishwashers or hairdryers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:38 pm
Posts: 34
Just to confirm, Pates did iGCSE English last year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:59 am
Posts: 5922
last year mum wrote:
Just to confirm, Pates did iGCSE English last year.

Thanks :) They were well out of AQA, I can tell you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 am
Posts: 58
r


Last edited by platypus on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016