School League Tables are out for 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
dr.watson

School League Tables are out for 2012

Post by dr.watson »

But does these stats matter? How should we select the best schools that our DCs should go to?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21171282" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
platypus

Re: School League Tables are out for 2012

Post by platypus »

r
Last edited by platypus on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

I didn't comment when the BBC table was posted on here as I find the information ambiguous. How can we compare the results based on a percentage of passes ranging from A* - C. If 98% of pupils scored a C and the remainder scored D's they would appear above a school that had 97% scoring A*'s with the remaining 3% scoring D's. Now we have the Telegraph tables and Pates doesn't even appear. I know they did well so what's happened to the figures in this new table? I just find the tables ambiguous to say the least. It's a shame as they could be more transparent (and consistent!) which would be a bit more useful.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Well the official line is this (taken from Pates website)
Pate's is normally at the top of these measures, however this year we are unlikely to feature. The reason for this is that we took the decision to follow an iGCSE qualification in English, and at present the DfE does not recognise this syllabus in its tables (we expect this to change in 2015).
Odd, as I could have sworn they did AQA English last year...
It will be the same with STRS who do iGCSEs in many subjects too, so they wouldn't be counted. STRS also (rather healthily imho) doesn't insist on Ebacc, and so would score low on that particular 'measure of excellence'. A bucketful of salt is needed when looking at league tables anyway - this is just one factor that muddies the waters this time round. Higher achieving schools have turned more and more to iGCSE, so the ones 'at the top' are likely actually to be slightly 'lower'. Do we care?
platypus

Post by platypus »

r
Last edited by platypus on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

littlebaker wrote:I didn't comment when the BBC table was posted on here as I find the information ambiguous. How can we compare the results based on a percentage of passes ranging from A* - C. If 98% of pupils scored a C and the remainder scored D's they would appear above a school that had 97% scoring A*'s with the remaining 3% scoring D's. Now we have the Telegraph tables and Pates doesn't even appear. I know they did well so what's happened to the figures in this new table? I just find the tables ambiguous to say the least. It's a shame as they could be more transparent (and consistent!) which would be a bit more useful.
If the information is Ambiguous, why is it published widely? What is the solution otherwise? I agree with your comments that I am not sure where the school will appear on the tables in the example that you've provided but what is the best criteria to look if A*-C is not? Please advise.

Many thanks,
Dr. Watson
Amber

Post by Amber »

platypus wrote:I noticed that STR had taken the decision recently to reduce some broadness to focus more on grades.
:?:
Not sure what you mean - if you are referring to the idea that boys can choose a free study period instead of a GCSE then that is true, but I wouldn't call it reducing breadth; rather an acknowledgement that actually you don't need GCSEs in double figures. Universities only look at the best 8 and in my view there is absolutely no need to be doing 11 or 12 GCSEs. I think the option of free study time instead of yet another exam is fabulous and I really wish schools would do fewer GCSEs and allow kids to breathe a bit.

Dr Watson - league tables are by their very nature ambiguous because you are never comparing like with like. They are a sales tool in a world where education is marketed as a commodity in the same way as dishwashers or hairdryers.
last year mum

Post by last year mum »

Just to confirm, Pates did iGCSE English last year.
Amber

Post by Amber »

last year mum wrote:Just to confirm, Pates did iGCSE English last year.
platypus

Post by platypus »

r
Last edited by platypus on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now