'I don't want to go to Grammar School Mum'

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
qip001

Re: 'I don't want to go to Grammar School Mum'

Post by qip001 »

Hi steppemum,
My DS1 was exactly like yours, we also wanted him to go to Marling and travel on a bus some distance away, we knew he had the ability but his attitude was a big problem. He was adamant he didnt want to go to GS, no one else went from his school and 2 days before the test he told us he would not do it....Well now he is a happy year 8 student at Marling with loads of friends. He enjoys going to school and doesnt mind getting up early in the morning. I think the fact that we told him he would study and try to get in to have a better chance in life, that we insisted he needs to do it and ignored his moaning played the key part in our story. Also he is a different boy now, more mature and when we remind him sometimes of how hard it was to get him motivated to study he just says he was too young to understand or to make a choice. I am glad we did it for him. You know best whats right for your child. What worked for us may not work for another family.
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

Steppemum, quite. Few children travel to Marling from N Wilts and S Gloucestershire. Where would your son be travelling from?
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Alice - quite to which part??
We are Swindon. There is direct train, quite easy, leaves at about 7:55, so actually a lot easier than many of the bus routes. If he does something after school there is always the next train, so more flexible than many bus routes too. At the moment (apparently) there are about 12 who travel form here to Marling, picking up quite a few more at Kemble, and about the same go on the same train to SHS.

So it is doable. Still not sure about long journey to school. I caught a 7:30 bus every morning, and really didn't like the travelling, so I have some sympathy.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

- or should that have been 'quite a few?' :D
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

Sorry, I did mean quite a few ! (Not very good at typing on my iPad)
I commute to work in Swindon 3 days so do the reverse journey.
Its very straightforward and the 28 minutes go quickly.

Disadvantage is really from a parents perspective. You cannot quickly get to school if they are ill, forget PE kit, musical instruments or for after school events which start at 6pm. Also it can be VERY difficult to get to meet other parents and therefore find your own support networks. Its just more difficult to be enaged in the whole school community. Birthday parties and play dates become more challenging.

My son in year 8 enjoys Marling. There are some good teachers and the school seems to be picking up after a low point several years ago. They are strong on Maths, DScience and Engineering and have some good connections to local manufacturing companies. There is a good music programme and a great orchestra jointly with the Girls High School next door. They are also due to get some new classrooms and science labs built later this year which will make the place better (some of the older buildings are very run down now).

Good Luck !
cazien

Post by cazien »

One tactic we used to promote DS interest in Grammar School was to promise a mobile phone (VERY useful when a child is using public transport). Bought him a signature book when he was leaving Juniors so he could keep names/comments/contact details of friends he would no longer be seeing at Secondary School - needless to say now emails/texts are free flowing between "old" mates!
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

I might have shot myself in the foot over that one cazien. He has been asking for a phone for months and I have told him he will get one when he goes to secondary, as whether it is GS or comp, he will have to get a bus or a train, so will need to let me know if he misses the bus.
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

My son didn't want to go to the grammar but to the secondary modern with his friends. He is now in Year 8 and he is shocked that he ever had that opinion and thanks me for sending him to the grammar, which he loves!
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

What about a better cooler phone? There's a big difference between models and plans, our dd1 first one was payg, no Internet, uncool model- got old very fast and she begged us into a Samsung in less than 18 m. On some flimsy grounds like the GS is further?
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

For those of you with reluctant Grammar schoolers, how long is your journey to school? Did that factor in your decision of their reluctance?

If you do a long journey, how have they coped with friendships?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now