Know where Pates waiting list got to? Was at 134, where now?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ziggie

Know where Pates waiting list got to? Was at 134, where now?

Post by ziggie »

LAST YEAR IT WENT TO 160, THE TWO YEARS BEFORE ABOVE 150. THIS YEAR IT HAD REACHED 134 ACCORDING TO THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE ON MARCH 1ST, MOST OF THE MOVEMENT IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE HAPPENED THIS MONTH. THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE IS NOW CLOSED UNTIL 8TH APRIL, ITS MESSAGE SAYS. ANYONE HEARD WHERE THE LIST HAS GOT TO?
FluffyCat

Re: KNOW WHERE PATES WAITING LIST GOT TO? WAS AT 134, WHERE

Post by FluffyCat »

edit
Last edited by FluffyCat on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PGS

Post by PGS »

They went to 160 last year.
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Yes I agreee with PGS that they went to 160 last year, but this would only have been because not all 121-160 necessarily took the place up or even included it on their CAF form. E.g. if you were 150-158 on the waiting list you may not have put Pates first on your CAF as it seemed such a long shot, or perhaps you wanted another school in preference, therefore allowing no. 159 (who did put Pates first) to be included if the list actually went down that far.

However, I would imagine that most movement of places would happen between now and June. Top 120 Pates have only just had email from the school (in the last two weeks) to confirm the school has received notification from county council etc etc. If, for whatever reason, someone had put Pates first in October and now didn't want it after March 1st allocation, the school would then have to manually go through the waiting list contacting the next person who actually put it on their CAF. This is a lengthy process, so sit tight and be patient :D
ziggie

Post by ziggie »

Many thanks for these clarifications. Our daughter was positioned 142 at the outset. If 14 people dropped out between october and march 1st, does that mean she was at 128 on March 1st? If so, in order for her to be offered a place, 8 more children above her on the list need to drop out. How can I find out how many children, if any, have dropped out? Pates refused to provide information about where she is on the list, saying we needed to wait until April 1st (both a bank holiday and April Fool's Day) when they would have all the information about drop-outs provided from Local Authorities. However, they also asserted with considerable confidence, that there would not be more than 2 or so more drop-outs. I am mystified how they could be so confident - does it not depend on a great many uncertain factors such as parents opting for private education, deciding they do not want to move to Cheltenham etc?

If the list went all the way to 160 last year and into the 150s the two previous years, were all but two of the drop outs in the period Oct-March 1st? That would mean last year that 38, nearly one third, of children offered a place in the original 120, dropped out before March 1st.

More generally, can anyone explain why Pates are so cagey about stating how many dropouts have occurred during march - why would they not be willing to tell us how many there have been during march? They also refuse to provide hard figures on at what point the dropouts occurred in previous years - is it that large numbers of parents do not put Pates first on their LA list back in October?

Much appreciate your comments.
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

I understand your situation, but there are months to go until July and circumstances can still change. I presume you must have HSFG, SHS or RH as a secure place? These are all really good schools too.
From your info I would say your daughter is 8th on the waiting list, but that could be higher if some in the original 135-141 (i.e. just above your daughter) did not put it on their CAF in October.

One point about the admissions office: they probably don't want to put people's hopes up or give false information rather than be deliberately obtuse or cagey. They usually have other jobs within the school (receptionist, exams officer, PA etc) and are busy people. Also add in the 100's of questions they must get every year: those within top 180, those who have got place but want to visit the school again to "check it is suitable" those who got a high score but probably just outside 180, those who wish to appeal...... their phone is probably red hot with callers!
I do think that only 2 dropping out in March does seem very low, but it is possible this maybe the case this year.

Sorry I can't give you more definite answers, but try and stay positive. As I said before, if you have one of the girl's grammars as your chosen school then you shouldn't be too downhearted. :D
ziggie

Post by ziggie »

Thanks for that, cup of tea.

I take your point about busyness of admissions staff. But i still do not really see why the whole thing cannot be more transparent: each time someone drops out, why not just update the waiting list so they can tell callers where the list has got to? It seems unnecessarily 'mysterious' to me.

And then, perhaps they do want to avoid getting hopes up, but I cannot really see why they are so reluctant to say what the numbers have been that dropped out in october in previous years.

The problem is in managing children's' expectations. Without proper data, its difficult to do that. The system does not seem very sensitive to the desire of children to know where they will be going to school in september?
Cup of tea

Re: Know where Pates waiting list got to? Was at 134, where

Post by Cup of tea »

I agree about transparency, but I guess they don't want to highlight the fact people choose other places. E.g. last year it must have been approx 40 students (quite a large amount) who didn't accept a place thus resulting in no. 160 getting a place. That doesn't look great for the school which supposedly is the one everyone is desperate to get into (and no I'm not Pates bashing, my daughter is going there and she's really looking forward to it). At the end of the day though it's a school. It will have good and bad points too.
Is your daughter's heart set on Pates? Could you/she see herself at another school? I really sympathise as I can imagine you don't want to plan anything for next year until you know for certain where she will be going. Good luck and may the force be with you (sorry, family of stars wars geeks :D )
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

ziggie wrote:I take your point about busyness of admissions staff. But i still do not really see why the whole thing cannot be more transparent: each time someone drops out, why not just update the waiting list so they can tell callers where the list has got to? It seems unnecessarily 'mysterious' to me.
It alters all the time - and don't forget that waiting lists can get longer as well as shorter. For instance, if a child moved to the area now, they could take the test and get a score that would have put them in the top 120. They'd then be added to the top of the waiting list, moving everyone else down one place.
turtleglos

Re: Know where Pates waiting list got to? Was at 134, where

Post by turtleglos »

Still have appeals to be heard as well. This can also affect places. It is also possible that they really don't know at this point and are just doing their best to help. I think that you may need to wait this one out for a while longer. Wine and chocolate may help
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now