help - DIY ing and stuck

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Re: help - DIY ing and stuck

Post by scary mum »

Maybe some kind of carrot for sitting down & doing the work? A special treat over half term for completing X? And then another one in the summer. I disagree so fundamentally for prizes for passing. It just sends the wrong message. But I know a lot of people disagree with me & pay by results. I would reward effort, not the outcome.
scary mum
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Kind of agree scary mum, but if the DC does not want to go to GS and the objective is get him there, then I think thats the only real option.
Guessing it would have to be a pretty big carrot too :shock:
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Thank for all your comments.

The issue is not about getting him to work. We have a deal: he does one session per week (was one per fortnight between Christmas and Easter) For that one session he is happy to knuckle down and work. If he doesn't finish the paper (or whatever) in that session, he is happy to come back to it, as he sees it as part of the session. But outside of that one session, he won't do anything else! The deal is drumming lessons, he gets drumming lessons in exchange for having to do 11+ prep.

He actually likes doing it, he enjoys the challenge (which is why I think he would enjoy the GS when he gets there) With a lot of the question types he is a natural, he just sees the codes, loves type z etc. There are some types he is getting stuck on, and it isn't the same type each time.

And he is very slow at the moment, 30 min tests taking an hour, but then gets a high score. Initially I really thought this would be doable as DIY, but now I am stuck knowing how to get him to speed up and have more practice with the types he is getting stuck on.

Can you get/download extra questions for any particular type on its own, without having to get complete sets?

I think we probably just need to do more and more and more until he can do them in his sleep :D

StJamesdad - I would consider bribery, but in a funny way, he is too far sighted for that, he would say that the XX reward is not worth it, as the cost is too high. But I think we are seeing some chinks in the armour of not wanting to go to GS. You mentioned girls, yes he would be much happier if Marling was co-ed. But the situation is that Marling is accessible. Pates is just too far (if he got in) and we can't move.
budgiegirl

Post by budgiegirl »

This link http://www.11plusforparents.co.uk/Verbal/vrintro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is great for practising each type of question on its own, and really helped my DS's build confindence on question types that they weren't so good at.

Also, to build speed, I would sit with my DS, and we would have mini competitions to see who could find the answer to each question first, and that kind of thing, which really did help, and also made it more fun.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Hi Steppemum

Is your DS doing the IPS papers if he's doing 30 min papers? Both my Dd1 and now DD2 found them
very hard to finish in the time given. It was only by papers 9 and 10 that either of them got close to finishing. DD1 passed easily for shs even though she only ever finished the 50 min papers by the skin of her teeth. DD2 has started doing the Tutors papers and can finish them more easily than the IPS ones. I do think its just practice. Didn't matter what we did with DD1, she never got any faster, but it didn't matter.

Can't wait till is all over - feels like life is on hold until October!
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

thanks for that link budgie girl

That is very reassuring pixiegirl, they do seem to take such a long time! I will try the tutor ones, thanks
custard

Post by custard »

Hi Steppemum,

Is your DS doing tests with multiple choice answer sheets? My DS got much quicker and more confident once he started with the multiple choice questions because he doesn't need to consider every possible answer, but only the 5 on the answer sheet. He has also developed his own strategies for speeding up by quickly eliminating some of the answers.
custard

Post by custard »

Hi Steppemum,

Is your DS doing tests with multiple choice answer sheets? My DS got much quicker and more confident once he started with the multiple choice questions because he doesn't need to consider every possible answer, but only the 5 on the answer sheet. He has also developed his own strategies for speeding up by quickly eliminating some of the answers.
bristolmum

Post by bristolmum »

IPS Techniques and Methods book is a good start to understand each T&M. I suggest you break down the questions into 10-15 mins instead of 30 mins to see how many questions can be finished and keep a tracking record for each paper. Doing questions type by type and bit by bit helps to improve technique and concentration and avoid boredom.

If you run out of questions type to practise, you can try to get the Verbal Reasoning T&M Apps and the Verbal Reasoning Apps from this website. It's value for money. My DS loved it and it's different from pen and paper. You can do it on the go via mobile or on holiday. It's no harm to re-do the same paper few months later to see if any improvement for T&M and speed.

Vocabulary is essential for VR. Look at http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... vocabulary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and download the word list to learn few words a day.
Bm
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now