Rumours of New Exam Format

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pixiequeen

Rumours of New Exam Format

Post by pixiequeen »

Am hearing rumours (well, one, anyway) that the 11+ in Glos. will change to 25% each of Maths, English, VR and Non VR for children sitting it in 2014 - anyone heard similar?

I have checked a couple of school websites but couldn't find any info. Never sure where to look on Glos county website since they 'improved' it so haven't looked there.

DD3 won't sit it until 2017 but it sounds an awful lot to get our heads round. :?

Pixiequeen
littlebaker

Re: Rumours of New Exam Format

Post by littlebaker »

I've been asking the same questions for ages. I can't believe that children sitting the exam in 2014 cannot plan an effective way to revise as they still do not know what they will be facing. It seems so unfair to have still not made a decision when some children practice for years in advance. Fine to change the goalposts but maybe a few years notice for adjustment would be helpful/useful. Fine for those in 2015 onwards as they have time but for those facing the exam in 2014 I do wonder when we will ever know what to start applying ourselves to.
Amber

Post by Amber »

littlebaker wrote:. It seems so unfair to have still not made a decision when some children practice for years in advance.
Remember that no one will have had access to the information, so no one will have been able to practice for years in advance. You could say that 2014 will be the fairest year of all, as no one will be able to prepare and all will face the same challenge. I think that if the format changes, it will be to one which the schools feel is more 'tutor proof' anyway, if such a thing exists- that is certainly the way other authorities are going.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote:
littlebaker wrote:. It seems so unfair to have still not made a decision when some children practice for years in advance.
Remember that no one will have had access to the information, so no one will have been able to practice for years in advance. You could say that 2014 will be the fairest year of all, as no one will be able to prepare and all will face the same challenge. I think that if the format changes, it will be to one which the schools feel is more 'tutor proof' anyway, if such a thing exists- that is certainly the way other authorities are going.

Couldn't have put it better...
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

I see your point Amber but it's unsettling for my DD when her brother is practising and she knows it's her turn next year and I keep saying take a look at these maths questions or shall we write something - we have no specific direction. She sees her brother's VR papers and is fully aware that our approach for her is more scattergun and she is finding it unsettling despite me trying to reassure her.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I know where you are coming from. However, as has been said, everyone will be in the same boat so probably not as bad as we think. My ds will be taking it in 2014 and is pretty laid back about it. He'll continue bits of VR as that seems to be a given that it will play some part in it. Other than that, we aren't really talking about it too much. My dd will be in the first year of the new GCSE's in 2017 so it's a double whammy for us! I would say just keep reading, practising VR and non-VR and general maths. At this stage, it's all we can do. I do think it's inevitable that it will happen in 2014, so I'm working on the assumption that it will be the new format.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

If I was having to prepare someone for the 2014 test I'd be going down the CEM route.... Many other areas have/are changing to it.. And obviously the Gloucester grammars trialled it earlier this year... If I were a bookie CEM would be my odds on favourite
littlebaker

Post by littlebaker »

mmmm, how about I put a huge amount on that at William Hill then when I'm quids in we can go private - I know what exam they use so it'd avoid a lot of stress :lol:
Orson

Post by Orson »

There will be an announcement before Christmas that Gloucestershire is going down the CEM route.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Whatever happens you can't go wrong by focusing on core English and Maths. If it is CEM it will be Numerical Reasoning, Cloze, Verbal Reasoning and Comprehension, all English and Maths by other names. Remember there are hundreds of teachers and parents who think all you need is core natural ability so their dc's won't be doing any preparation at all! DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now