Filling out the admissions form for secondary

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Brookend

Re: Filling out the admissions form for secondary

Post by Brookend »

VERY confused! This is last minute.com for me. My son has qualified for all the Grammar schools, but the one we want. Admissions have advised me to include it on the CAF, but not as first choice. The impression I got was that we would lose what is effectively our 2nd choice if we put what is effectively our first choice at number one? I'm definitely going to appeal for the school we want as he wasn't far off the qualifying score, he's a 31st aug baby and his sister is already there.
so have done this:
1. STR
2. Pates
3 Marling
4 Crypt
but want Pates :wink:
What does everyone think?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Brookend wrote: My son has qualified for all the Grammar schools, but the one we want. Admissions have advised me to include it on the CAF, but not as first choice.
Wrong! Put it first. As you haven't got it, your second choice will automatically jump to first position as if the first choice hadn't been there. You will then be able to appeal for Pate's as that you haven't been offered it.
The impression I got was that we would lose what is effectively our 2nd choice if we put what is effectively our first choice at number one?
That's the opposite of what happens! Have a look at this flowchart - http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =5&t=28840
I'm definitely going to appeal for the school we want as he wasn't far off the qualifying score, he's a 31st aug baby and his sister is already there.
so have done this:
1. STR
2. Pates
3 Marling
4 Crypt
but want Pates :wink:
What does everyone think?
You'll not get Pate's on reconsideration, so would have to appeal. I should add that I'm not on the appeals panel for it, but:

Winning an appeal for Pate's is very hard. The school side apparently makes a very strong case for not allowing appeals. Those who do win are almost always ones who have passed the test but were not offered a place - and have exceptionally strong reasons that they should have scored higher.

Your sons birthday will have already been taken into account in the weighting of the score; the only possible argument you could put forward (that would make a difference) could be that he was born on 31st August, not on 1st August, and even then it could be that they standardise for the middle of the month so you'd be arguing that he should be allowed extra points for being born 16 days after the 15th August!

I doubt if having a sibling at the school will help. If it were a non-selective school it might, but for a grammar the 'sibling effect' tends only to be taken into account when comparing pupils with an equal score. To put it another way, would you want a child in your daughters class who were not bright enough for Pate's but got a place just because they'd got a sibling further up the school - and were holding the rest of the class back?

Your son has done pretty well to get a pass for Tommies. I'd put that at second if you still decide want to appeal for Pate's, but you'll go through a lot of stress & grief and be unlikely to win.

Sorry to be negative :roll:
Capers
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Agree with all Capers comments above. There is absolutely no point in putting Pates second!

Also to add my tuppence worth: if he's not in the top 180 (i.e. passed for Pates) then "a few marks from the qualifying score" is actually a long way off in terms of numbers of candidates. Last year I know someone inside top 180 who had fairly good grounds for the appeal, massive support from primary school etc. and they didn't get in.
Realise it is a pain in that your children maybe at different schools but if you haven't looked around STRS then I'd recommend you do. Everyone I have spoken to say it's a great school.
Good luck!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now