STRS appeal !!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moon17

STRS appeal !!

Post by moon17 »

Have i got any chance to get my son into Tommy's ?
Last edited by moon17 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mum66

Re: STRS appeal !!

Post by Mum66 »

I think it will depend on whether or not you can get evidence that your DS has the academic ability. And if there were any circumstances at the time of the test which meant he didn't do as well as you had hoped. Good luck!
cazien

Post by cazien »

To give you (a little) hope - 2 years ago a parent appealed with a score of 197 and was successful. They did already have a son at STRS and had very good academic ability, school reports etc. to give as evidence (sounds like a crime scene :lol: ).
Mum66

Post by Mum66 »

Having a sibling at the school carries very little weight, if any, with the panel. I know of a family who appealed last year for a place at a Gloucestershire GS for DS3 - both DS1 and DS2 at same GS. They weren't successful. :(
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Appeals panels will look at, and consider, any information you choose to put forward. What weight they give to that information is down to them.

For a selective school, the appeals panel have to be convinced that the child is academically suitable. If they have not passed, then you'll need to supply evidence to prove this - predicted SATS, CAT scores, school reports (showing high ability, not just hard work), even ed psych reports (not very often seen) - whatever you can get. Have a look over at the FAQ's in the Appeals forum.

Having a sibling at the school is of interest, but may carry little weight with a panel, in that it's neither ability nor a reason for not passing the test. If there were two appeals exactly the same that the panel were trying to decide apart from one having a sibling and the other not, then it might swing it - but that's after proving that they were academic enough. In the appeal Cazien wrote of, sibling at the school is likely to be a red herring - it's probably the academic proof that won the appeal (I didn't sit on that panel, so am guessing).
Capers