Any allowances ? dyslexia in Gloucestershire.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sunshine 11

Any allowances ? dyslexia in Gloucestershire.

Post by Sunshine 11 »

I was just wondering if anyone had requested any allowances in relation to dyslexia this year. I know there is a space on the application form to provide any info and request any allowances, my main request will be a little extra time, has anyone requested or been successful in receiving this ?

Many thanks
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
ginx

Re: Any allowances ? dyslexia in Gloucestershire.

Post by ginx »

Hi sunshine 11, here in Warwickshire I am an invigilator. I invigilated a dc with dyslexia. He had 25 per cent extra time added on to the CD for the 11+. He also had a reader to help him.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Thanks Ginx. DD has worked hard to overcome and wouldn't need a reader. We are having her re-assessed in 1/2 term so that we have an up to date report. She is already 4b in English and so has worked really hard.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
ginx

Post by ginx »

Sunshine11, I don't think the dc we invigilated needed a reader either. He looked rather surprised to have one (and so did his father). I don't know much about dyslexia, but I could see that he wrote his name with some of the letters back to front, if you see what I mean.

Of course, Warks isn't Glocs and rules may not be the same, but I would have thought the 25% extra time would be standard (CEM in Warks).

Good luck with the assessment, all dc should have the extra time or help they deserve.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I work with children with various learning difficulties including dyslexia and they all get 25% extra time, some have a reader and some also have a writer. But they are only entitled to this provision in an exam if they have been assessed by an educational psychologist and in their report state the specific learning difficulty and what what extra support they need in the exam. Then when you complete the application form for the GS exam you have to state that they have a SPLD, which one and what provision they are entitled too. The schools can and probably will require proof of this before allowing it, which would be the Ed Psych report.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

MedievalBabe wrote:I work with children with various learning difficulties including dyslexia and they all get 25% extra time, some have a reader and some also have a writer. But they are only entitled to this provision in an exam if they have been assessed by an educational psychologist and in their report state the specific learning difficulty and what what extra support they need in the exam. Then when you complete the application form for the GS exam you have to state that they have a SPLD, which one and what provision they are entitled too. The schools can and probably will require proof of this before allowing it, which would be the Ed Psych report.
Excellent, very useful. DD is having a re-assessment next week and so I will mention to Ed Psych. Thanks :D
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now