NEW Gloucestershire Eleven Plus entrance exam 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Stressed?Moi?

Re: NEW Gloucestershire Eleven Plus entrance exam 2014

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Does anyone know if there will be a comprehension passage please?
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:Does anyone know if there will be a comprehension passage please?
"The test consists of multiple choice style questions on verbal ability (comprehension, vocabulary and verbal reasoning), numerical reasoning and non-verbal reasoning" - so it's a fair bet that it will. Other CEM areas have comprehension - in multiple choice format.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Okanagan wrote:
Stressed?Moi? wrote:Does anyone know if there will be a comprehension passage please?
"The test consists of multiple choice style questions on verbal ability (comprehension, vocabulary and verbal reasoning), numerical reasoning and non-verbal reasoning" - so it's a fair bet that it will. Other CEM areas have comprehension - in multiple choice format.
Ok, thanks. They've sure got a lot to pack into this exam!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Eh? What do you mean? :lol:
Capers
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Like your style Capers :D . My son won't be happy as he hates reading excerpts about the Silk Road, the Bubonic Plague, Florence Nightingale and the wiping out of native Indians in North America; can't think why!! Any suggestions for some more upbeat comprehension passages gratefully accepted .... by us both".
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Ditto Alice and yes I speak from experience. Things can turn around again at about 16 so if you are speaking from experience hang on in there.

I also would like to add that somebody has to come bottom of the class. Being a lazy swine myself as a child it was frequently moi. I still left school with good qualifications and went on to do a degree. It is all relative and being near the bottom of a highly selective school is no bad thing unless you are the type of child that needs to excel at everything you do and would suffer a crises of confidence when you didn't.

This test seems more rounded, finally some non-verbal and a maths paper.

It will never be fairer unless they do away with the opt in system or stop discouraging heads from advising academically able children from socio-disadvantaged backgrounds to sit the tests.
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

Fortunately no problems with mine, Tolstoy, except they do not do a stroke of work and only minimal homework.
And I am looking forward to the day when they are entirely self motivated and understand the importance of getting their heads down and putting in some effort !
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I do believe there are children like that out there somewhere, unfortunately mine seem to have inherited the lazy swine gene :lol: Glad to know your not experiencing extreme adolescence though, wouldn't wish that upon anyone.
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

Plenty examples of extreme adolescence on the Parenting teenagers forum on Mumsnet !
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now