NEW Gloucestershire Eleven Plus entrance exam 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
capers123

Re: NEW Gloucestershire Eleven Plus entrance exam 2014

Post by capers123 »

From the SHS web site - FAQ's

2015 Admissions (Frequently Asked Questions)

How does my daughter gain admission to Stroud High School?

Stroud High School is a selective school. To gain a place your daughter must first sit, and achieve the required standard, in the Grammar School Entrance Test. For 2015 entry, the test will be held on Saturday 13 September 2014.

How do I apply to sit the grammar school entrance test?

You must complete a Grammar School Registration to enable your daughter to sit the entrance test. Information on this will be found on the Stroud High School website http://www.stroudhigh.gloucs.sch.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at the appropriate time.

Registration for 2015 entry will be open from 2 June 2014 to midday on 4 July 2014. It is preferable for you to register online and all communication can then be by email, however, a paper registration form is available from the school by request. Once you have registered you will be sent details of timings of the day and what your daughter should bring.

What is the format of the test?

The test consists of multiple choice style questions on verbal ability (comprehension, vocabulary and verbal reasoning), numerical reasoning and non-verbal reasoning. There are two papers, with each test session taking around an hour. At the beginning of each session there is time built in for instructions and some worked examples, the tests themselves will take around 45 to 50 minutes. Appropriate warnings will be given before the end. There will be a break between the papers of around 20 minutes.

Why has the test been changed?

The seven Gloucestershire Grammar Schools are concerned by the amount of tutoring that currently takes place. CEM are one of the largest independent providers of educational assessment and monitoring systems in the world. They have been developing selection assessments since 1999, and provide tests for a number of grammar schools in other counties. CEM design their tests to enable all children to demonstrate their academic potential without excessive preparation.

Is it possible to obtain some practice papers/sample questions beforehand?

A familiarisation booklet, which gives examples of the sorts of questions used in the test, will be available from the school website in January 2014. CEM does not produce commercially available practice materials.

Please be aware that materials sold on the internet, or provided by tutors, other than CEM familiarisation and practice materials, are not genuine CEM materials.

How should my daughter prepare for the test?

Beyond the familiarisation material, the best preparation for the tests is to read books and use mathematics on a regular basis.

When will I get the results?

The results will be available by Monday 13 October 2014. The length of time between the test and the result is longer than in previous years, but the results are published in good time for you to be able to complete the Local Authority’s Common Application Form.

If my daughter reaches the qualifying standard how do I apply for a place at Stroud High School?

If your daughter meets the qualifying standard you will be informed and can apply for a place at Stroud High School by completing the Local Authority’s Common Application Form (CAF) for allocation of school places. The deadline for this is usually 31 October.

Does the school have a catchment area?

Stroud High School does not have a catchment area.

Key dates

Register to sit the Entrance Test From 2 June 2014 to midday on 4 July 2014
Entrance Test Saturday 13 September 2014
Results By Monday 13 October 2014
Local Authority ‘Common Application Form’ deadline Usually 31 October 2014*
Local Authority Allocation Day Usually 1 March 2015*
Local Authority acceptance of place OR request for re-consideration deadline Usually Thursday 12 March 2015*
Local Authority notifies parents with outcome of their reconsideration Usually 1 April 2015*
Admissions appeals Week commencing 19 May 2015 (tbc)

*dates based upon the timetable of previous years

Please note:

This information is produced by Stroud High School based on the most up-to-date information available at the time, and may be subject to change.

Parents are responsible for checking with the relevant grammar schools and the Local Authority that this information is still correct at the time of application.

Stroud High School Open Events 2013-14

Open Mornings
Tuesday 4 March 2014 - 9.30 am to 12 noon
Wednesday 25 June 2014 - 9.30 to 12 noon
Parents and students welcome

Prospective Parents' Evening
Wednesday 12 March 2014 6pm and 7pm
The purpose of Prospective Parents' Evening is to provide information about the school, and the registration and Entrance Test processes. This event is intended for parents only, and presentations will be given at 6pm and 7pm

There will be further open events early in the academic year 2014-2015
Capers
capers123

Post by capers123 »

stroudydad wrote:
capers123 wrote:I notice that some of the schools have started updating their web sites to gove more information and some FAQ's (Crypt, for example).
I like what you've done there.. :-)
Crypt was the first that seemed to have been updated (just after 12:00). All the schools have now done so - I've checked all the sites.
Capers
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Do they all refer to our friend mr Gove?
wickmum

Post by wickmum »

I am delighted the exam is changing, we have a mother at our school that has been talking to anyone that will listen about the exam since reception, everyone just avoids her now! Her poor children have been tutored in VR since y1 or y2.

Its the children I feel sorry for, they may get to grammar schools and spend 5 years at the bottom of the class!

This hopefully will be a more level playing field and stop children with pushy parents getting a place and spending 5 years thinking they are a failure!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

wickmum wrote:I am delighted the exam is changing, we have a mother at our school that has been talking to anyone that will listen about the exam since reception, everyone just avoids her now! Her poor children have been tutored in VR since y1 or y2.

Its the children I feel sorry for, they may get to grammar schools and spend 5 years at the bottom of the class!

This hopefully will be a more level playing field and stop children with pushy parents getting a place and spending 5 years thinking they are a failure!
I hate to say it but, if my area is anything to go by, the pushy parents will still be the pushy parents and will still seek out tutors from an early age/diy excessively!! Unfortunately, if enough parents disbelieve that the test is really tutor proof, then the vicious circle all starts again.

Although "tutoring" per se is not needed if your child is bright (neither of my two boys were tutored), you can certainly "prepare" for CEM tests - quick recall of times tables is essential for speedy maths; good general vocab knowledge and understanding; practice on NVR would be a good start (the other two they can achieve through school but I would recommend supporting at home, NVR isn't covered in state schools.) Speed and accuracy are the name of the game. The Durham CEM papers are notorious for having a huge amount of content/questions and tight time, with children not being allowed to go back to sections, (even if they have finished a subsequent section within the time).
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

No matter how wonderful your children are at 10/11, and regardless of how much or how little you spend on having them tutored, it can all go horribly wrong at age 13/14 or 15 !

And of course for those kids who do apply themselves wherever they go to school, and do well at GCSE, there is a wide choice of schools and colleges for A levels and vocational alternatives.

So keep a grasp on perspective folks.

Eleven plus is NOT the be all and end all of your childs education !
wickmum

Post by wickmum »

Sounds like you speak from experience Alice in Underland

I totally agree with you.

I have even heard of parents offering expensive gift to children if they pass!
11nonplussed

Post by 11nonplussed »

Alice in underland I totally agree.been through this with dd1 who is happy at grammar. About to go through process again and see it with fresh eyes this time. It really is not the be all and end all. My dd has friends who are doing equally well at local comps. I can think of a couple who have blossomed at gcse level and gone onto sixth form at grammar...I would echo the advice 'keep some perspective people!' That said, good luck everyone.At least we are all in the same boat :shock: :)
11nonplussed

Post by 11nonplussed »

Ps yes I've heard of the gift bribe too...even a puppy!!! Mine has been told wanting to do it for more choice of schools is the only reason you should need....meanie... :wink:
sandman

Post by sandman »

Ours always said they would be insulted if we as parents attempted to offer then anything in order to succeed at school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now