2015 Admissions - How are we all doing ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Stressed?Moi?

Re: 2015 Admissions - How are we all doing ?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Yep us too. DS will be 10 years and 2 weeks when he sits the 11+!! Glad age is still factored-in. We're chuntering through reading and some maths downloads off the internet. The more I see of this exam though, the more scared I get!
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:Yep us too. DS will be 10 years and 2 weeks when he sits the 11+!! Glad age is still factored-in. We're chuntering through reading and some maths downloads off the internet. The more I see of this exam though, the more scared I get!
Reading does seem to be key and knowing lots and lots of vocab for synonyms and antonyms. It is a nice idea that it will be more inclusive for all, and clearer marking, it will be interesting to see how it pans out. Seems to be more in line with SATS results and expectations. Most of the SHS girls seem to be around a SATS level 5-6 on admission, and for Pates it's more 6-7. So if a child is currently achieving 4A or 5C they should be well able to do the test without much if any prep :D
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sunshine 11 wrote: Most of the SHS girls seem to be around a SATS level 5-6 on admission, and for Pates it's more 6-7. So if a child is currently achieving 4A or 5C they should be well able to do the test without much if any prep :D
I am not sure where your figures are from but I think it most unlikely that many children are coming out of primary school as a proper level 6 overall, let alone a level 7, the material for which is not taught at all in primary school. I understand that most boys entering STRS have a majority of level 5s at KS2 and I'd be amazed if the SHS demographic was wildly different from that. And because many schools don't offer level 6 tests and even if they do very few children get that level in English, I don't think Pates entrants would be there either. This is without even thinking about the non-correspondence between level 6 tests taken in primary school and the level 6 which teachers usually set as an end of year target for year 7.
cheltbornandbred

Post by cheltbornandbred »

Well my son qualified in the top 120 for Pates this year and he isn't working at a secure level 6 in English - very very few pupils attain a level 6 in reading in Gloucestershire. He has elements of level 6 writing but is really a level 5 at the moment. I'm hoping that when he gets to Pates that all of the others aren't a level 7! He's tipping into a level 6 maths at the moment but I'm sure the secondary schools would say that those reaching level 6 in the SATs are nearer a 6c than a secure level 6. Hope that puts some people's minds at rest :D
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

cheltbornandbred wrote:Well my son qualified in the top 120 for Pates this year and he isn't working at a secure level 6 in English - very very few pupils attain a level 6 in reading in Gloucestershire. He has elements of level 6 writing but is really a level 5 at the moment. I'm hoping that when he gets to Pates that all of the others aren't a level 7! He's tipping into a level 6 maths at the moment but I'm sure the secondary schools would say that those reaching level 6 in the SATs are nearer a 6c than a secure level 6. Hope that puts some people's minds at rest :D
Congrats cheltbornandbred I hope he enjoys it.

It will be interesting how the new test changes the correlation with SATS results, I think it will be more in line with SATS results though, as the test is so similar to a SATS test (except the non VR bit). I know at the moment there is quite a variation of children's abilities at the grammars, and this is exactly why they have opted to change the test.

I am amazed that not many pupils attain level 6 in reading, perhaps this is indicative of a lack of interesting books in schools for children to read. My 2 take there own in now, as there is so little selection in school. I think they key is buying them lots of books they are interested in and reading/listening to them still, as well as encouraging independent reading. This allows new vocab to be found and enables them to ask about words they may not understand, and for you to ask if they understand them. My daughter also enjoys sharing,and lending her books to her friends, which is nice as they talk about them, a bit like a book club !. The library is an option, but I find all the new releases take a while to come through, and when they do there is a long waiting list anyway !

Thank goodness for Jacqueline Wilson, the girls all seem to adore these books, there is a good level of vocab and some very interesting topics with historical elements, my favourite was Queenie. DD is enjoying the Hetty Feather series and a group of her friends will also be going to watch it at the Everyman in Chelt in May (one to book for the May hols !).

I think it is good to have an idea of the SATS level you need to enter these schools so that the children don't struggle once they get there, and they aren't put under undue pressure. In saying that, SHS does seem to have an excellent mentoring system in place if any find they do need help :)
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sunshine 11 wrote: I am amazed that not many pupils attain level 6 in reading, perhaps this is indicative of a lack of interesting books in schools for children to read.
I think it is more an indication of the fact that it was never designed to be a test for primary school children; that the higher order skills needed to process literature at level 6 are not taught in primary school and that children of ten are unlikely to have the maturity and insight needed to read complex texts and make inferences from them. Also many schools think, rightly, that this is for the later years, when secondary English teachers take over. Far fewer children are entered for level 6 primary English tests than Maths ones, as the latter are easier to teach to. And as has been well discussed on here, secondary Maths teachers tend to take primary level 6 with a large pinch of salt anyway (ask Guest55!).

Not sure Jacqueline Wilson is necessarily the way to go if you do aspire to level 6 for your daughter, btw. :wink:
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

I think it is more an indication of the fact that it was never designed to be a test for primary school children; that the higher order skills needed to process literature at level 6 are not taught in primary school and that children of ten are unlikely to have the maturity and insight needed to read complex texts and make inferences from them. Also many schools think, rightly, that this is for the later years, when secondary English teachers take over. Far fewer children are entered for level 6 primary English tests than Maths ones, as the latter are easier to teach to. And as has been well discussed on here, secondary Maths teachers tend to take primary level 6 with a large pinch of salt anyway (ask Guest55!).

Not sure Jacqueline Wilson is necessarily the way to go if you do aspire to level 6 for your daughter, btw. :wink:
I feel the key is to them enjoying reading and for it to get them wanting to read. A few girls at our school have had other books forced on them, but they take ages to read them as they don't enjoy them. Perhaps that is the mistake parents make, judging the "quality" of the literature, when in fact, at primary school age they should just be reading what the enjoy. My DD gets through about a book every week or so at the moment which I think is a good sign she enjoys reading :D
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
cazien

Post by cazien »

Totally agree with comments re: book choices in Junior school. My DD is in year 4 and at level 4C for reading. School books seems to focus on children who struggle to read and does not cater for those who don't. She has taken her own books to school since January of year 3 and enjoys the variety of books we have (Michael Morpurgo, Gill Lewis, Liz Kessler etc). Currently reading Animals of Farthing Wood and loving it. Don't know why her school has such a limited library selection :( . She didn't think much of Jaqueline Wilson (and to be honest neither did I :o ).
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My dd was never a fan of Jaqueline Wilson either - much more into fantasy and quirkier books such as Percy Jackson, 39 Clues, Skulduggery Pleasant, the Hunger Games, and Witch & Wizard series.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

DD Y5 & is a 5C reading with reading and spelling age 12.5 yrs.

Another real fave was Clare Baldings Autobiography "my family and other animals" we laughed so much. Hilarious.

I must say she & her friends have only recently all become Jaqueline fans. She wasn't overly interested in Y4. She covers lots of issues perhaps aimed at slightly older. Cathy Cassidy another fave with her friends is also a fave at SHS, she visited the school last year.

Thanks for the suggestions though I will ask DD if she fancies any of them :D
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now