Which 2013 test was 'harder'?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11plus2

Which 2013 test was 'harder'?

Post by 11plus2 »

Hi all,

We are considering appealing for STRS as it is closer than Crypt. DS scored 3 points below pass mark but his score on the 1st test was much lower than his score on 2nd test. His 2nd test score x2 would have easily have qualified him for a place.

I can remember reading somewhere that one of the tests was considerably easier than the other - but which one?

Cheers
Stressed?Moi?

Re: Which 2013 test was 'harder'?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Would it not be subjective though? Given that one child may find a certain type of question easier than another they would have a different opinion of which one was more difficult. My daughter hated the code type questions whereas my son loves them (shame because he will be doing the new CEM exam). Just my opinion. As an aside apparently Crypt is an excellent school, so although it's further away, he would probably do well there. Good luck.
11plus2

Post by 11plus2 »

I though that both tests had similar questions but at different levels of difficulty?
I also though that it was 'normal' to have similar percentile scores.

If the papers were different as you suggest then differing scores would just show a preference for a particular type of question like you suggest - in that case it would be great to know which questions he had issues with as that would also help inform the appeal (if we decide to try this).

Crypt is a great school (in fact my DS prefers it! ) but it would mean moving house to get on a bus route. We were considering Longlevens but have heard not so good things about the bus service from there.

Thanks
Flash

Post by Flash »

My DD and her friends all said the first test was difficult and the second test a lot easier.
titch

Post by titch »

We are also considering appealing for STRS for the same reason as you but our DS has 2 points below pass mark.

We however do not know what our DS score was on each paper as yet or how to get this information at this stage, I have called school for an appeals pack which is yet to arrive.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

I'm sure both schools are excellent but to reassure you - Crypt is a fabulous, creative, fun and stimulating school - my year 8 son has thrived. :)
11plus2

Post by 11plus2 »

titch wrote:We are also considering appealing for STRS for the same reason as you but our DS has 2 points below pass mark.

We however do not know what our DS score was on each paper as yet or how to get this information at this stage, I have called school for an appeals pack which is yet to arrive.
My DS applied to Crypt as well as STRS so although we don't have the marks for each paper we do have the score against the Crypt cohort for each.

We have the STRS appeal pack but there's not much additional explanation - just a copy of the school's admission criteria, a document explaining the appeal process (identical to the one on Gloucestershire's website) and an appeal form.

Good luck with your appeal if you decide to go through with it!
11plus2

Post by 11plus2 »

Scratch my last - the stress of all this must be getting to me!

It was STRS that gave the breakdown of the 2 tests not Crypt.
titch

Post by titch »

Was the breakdown over the phone or in the appeals pack?
11plus2

Post by 11plus2 »

The results breakdown was in the original email from STRS in October!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now