For those of you with both boys and girls.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

neveragain*

Re: For those of you with both boys and girls.

Post by neveragain* »

You know what I think! :)
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Hi. We are in the same situation, 2 boys both moved on but dd in yr 4. We are starting to think about secondary. I know nothing about the girls grammars which seems a little odd after learning loads about the boys. It doesnt help that the change in test is unsettling me as well. I think dd is realising the sizee of the task at the moment, there seems to be so much that they need to know.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

You're lucky turtleglos, my son takes the test in September and STILL doesn't recognise the seriousness of the situation!!!!! In the work that I'm setting for him he is randomly getting between 49% and 88%, so I really don't have a clue how he'll do on the day. We're just keeping up the reading and I'm setting him maths, so fingers crossed. BTW, all of the girls' grammars are fab. My DD is at Ribston which is, to her, apparently "the best school in the world".
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Just bumping this up, with the open days starting again. We're still very undecided, I think I've got the grammar options sorted in my head but we're really struggling with non-grammar options.

Would be interested in anyone's experiences of St Peter's. Particularly concerning pastoral care and drama and arts. Thanks.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Watermelon8 wrote:Chosen Hill Comp very good but even areas of Gloucester struggle to get in so I guess there would be very little chance from Whitminster.
I'd strongly recommend a visit and a look at its recent results. It's not been doing so well in the last few years. My eldest DD was there when it was classed Outstanding, and tbh we weren't that impressed with the teaching & ethos back then!

I went back more recently when my younger DD and now DS were considering secondaries, and despite it being right around the corner for us, was definitely not a preferred option. It tends to focus on bringing students up to a grade C. There is little extension support offered, and its 'value added' score recently has been very poor.
Last edited by Weaver on Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cazien

Post by cazien »

RedVelvet wrote:

Would be interested in anyone's experiences of St Peter's. Particularly concerning pastoral care and drama and arts. Thanks.

Just out of interest (after hearing a few Y6 parents argue in the playground earlier this year!) do you have to be Catholic to go to St Peters?
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

No you don't, but it's one if the things in their admission criteria so it increases your chances.
Amber

Post by Amber »

neveragain* wrote:You know what I think! :)
You probably don't know what I think! All I would say is good luck RV - I don't think there is a girls' equivalent of STRS, and you face a hard choice. Parents of girls at all 3 girls' grammars have strong allegiances but with a bit of digging you might get more information.

I have a tiny bit of experience of St P but it was 5 years ago now - I was impressed with pastoral support which was my area of interest/involvement and the way I know most of the grammar schools. And the children I worked with there were both out of area and not RC.

Don't envy you this one. Don't forget Tommies has a mixed sixth form. :D

ETA have a friend with 2 children at SevernVale and who feels it is doing great things for them. Very different; one very academic and the other more arty.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Thanks Amber, there's no easy choice for us. The pastoral care and really understanding and getting to know the children is what is important for us.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now