Sunshine and showers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kismet

Sunshine and showers

Post by Kismet »

Wouldn't it be so nice just to jack it all in and enjoy the summer. I know I won't cos I will get it in the neck in the years to come when I am told I didn't do my best for him......but just wanted to share that glorious thought of a stress free summer......and we have sunshine this year......
Yamin151

Re: Sunshine and showers

Post by Yamin151 »

Kismet wrote:Wouldn't it be so nice just to jack it all in and enjoy the summer. I know I won't cos I will get it in the neck in the years to come when I am told I didn't do my best for him......but just wanted to share that glorious thought of a stress free summer......and we have sunshine this year......
I remember you pain. Hang in there. And whatever he/they say, don't feel compelled to fill the summer with work. 10 mins a day is ALL we did, and only mon-fri, in the summer hols, and deliberately NOTHING whatsoever, not a bean, in the week up to the exam. You are doing your best for him by protecting him from the stress and anxiety that comes from making it matter "that much". Doing your best for the whole of your son, not just his academic prowess.

As for sunshine :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll believe it when I see it, and I predict, in writing, here, that we will get a corking July, up to and maybe first week of summer hols, then grey and rainy for the rest, until a corking late septemebr and still t shirts in early oct. You heard it here first folks!
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

don't take thus the wrong way but for my part I hope July is cold and raining heavily; the Muslim holy month of Ramadan is starting on June 29th (or thereabouts) and with 18hrs of daylight this year during the month, will be challenging
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

sbarnes wrote:don't take thus the wrong way but for my part I hope July is cold and raining heavily; the Muslim holy month of Ramadan is starting on June 29th (or thereabouts) and with 18hrs of daylight this year during the month, will be challenging
Oh no, don't do that!!! I mean, you have my sympathy regarding the long fast of course (it must be so difficult!), but we get so little chance for sun here, please don't wish it away! :) :) .
In some Muslim countries isn't this Ramadan going to involve even longer, hotter days? Although if nearer the equator those places will go dark sooner won't they?

OK. Blasting hot days, freakish early sunsets, will that do?? :) :)

Edited to say 'this' Ramadan instead of 'his' Ramadan!!
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Jacking it in sounds fab, though luckily/unbelievably DS is now so keen that he's keeping things going! I'm finding it much more intense though with this new format as opposed to when we went through the VR-only format a couple of years ago with DD. The reason being that I find we've just got a grip of comprehension, when non-VR kicks goes off the boil. Get on top of that and then the dreaded "if Sally leaves the station at ........" maths ones rear their ugly heads and then grammar and punctuation jockey for the position of being the biggest pain. I'm finding it far harder work than the other format just because of the breadth of subject matter to address. However, no matter what happens, this is proving really useful and I know it is doing him a lot of good as he seems to be "getting things" more frequently than before. Ref weather, my birthday is the end of August and I could always guarantee lovely weather on the day - that hasn't happened now for years. Global warming? Who knows. Pain in the neck? You bet. Stay strong people. :D
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Yes DS too is keen. What if I don't do it mummy, he says. I say, no matter...learning is never wasted and we still go to a good state school. Trying to sound wise and say things like they can take away everything from you but they can't take away your knowledge. I think he's fooled but I know that after all this I would be gutted myself if he doesn't make it, in spite of knowing the comp school is perfectly acceptable. Oh the thing see put ourselves thru........ I do find myself doing some of the tests myself. Quite enjoy the verbal stuff. Am I smarter than a ten year old? Sadly, I'm still not sure :lol: :roll:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

sbarnes wrote:don't take thus the wrong way but for my part I hope July is cold and raining heavily; the Muslim holy month of Ramadan is starting on June 29th (or thereabouts) and with 18hrs of daylight this year during the month, will be challenging

Oy...My birthday is July, I wants lots and lots of Sun that week, and I shall want to be sitting in the garden celebrating with my family, a bottle of pimms and a bbq until at least 10pm in the sun thank you...then I will light the candles and fairy lights.
We also want sun for the garden shows, so miserable when they are spoilt by rain and such to see hard work by the exhibitors ruined.
You are also wishing for rain on the poshest of the posh...Henley regatta, which just does not do darlinx!

Can you not, very, very occasionally use a really good set of black out curtains to their best advantage and plead innocence, I promise we would not tell. :wink:

My last summer of 11+ discontent, we only do the usual 20 minutes a day and I also purposely save practice papers to torture them with when they should be playing in the hols, but only 1 a week. They are usually let out of their seats with the phrase "fly, be free" and I do not see them for dust. :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now