peaked already?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Debims

peaked already?

Post by Debims »

So... we have had a tutor for a couple of months and are doing a lot of online quizzes etc, my DD has consistently been top three in class tests etc and is a genuine all rounder - but she seems to be burning out a bit so we're taking the pressure right off. If the hype about CEM is right and it doesn't need tutoring for then I think we've done all we can to help her and the rest will be down to performance on the day. Does anyone else think their child may have peaked? Do I mention a few more tests again in a couple of weeks or let things take their natural course? Seems mean to make her stay in and work as summer approaches if she doesn't want to. But then again it seems crazy to stop working now we're so close. Any advice from people who have been through this would be appreciated...
KS10

Re: peaked already?

Post by KS10 »

Success stories or peaked already? Gremlins at work.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Perfect timing :lol:
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Debims wrote:So... we have had a tutor for a couple of months and are doing a lot of online quizzes etc, my DD has consistently been top three in class tests etc and is a genuine all rounder - but she seems to be burning out a bit so we're taking the pressure right off. If the hype about CEM is right and it doesn't need tutoring for then I think we've done all we can to help her and the rest will be down to performance on the day. Does anyone else think their child may have peaked? Do I mention a few more tests again in a couple of weeks or let things take their natural course? Seems mean to make her stay in and work as summer approaches if she doesn't want to. But then again it seems crazy to stop working now we're so close. Any advice from people who have been through this would be appreciated...
I reckon you both need a break and do some as and when over the hols. If she's doing well, I don't see any need for anything more and as you say, it's pretty untutorable. We've got a way to go, but luckily ds is enjoying doing my dd's old VR papers along with non-VR. If at any point he gets fed up we will definitely stop - it's just not worth it. My dd at one point was getting jaded and wanted to stop. And we did. She thought about it for a couple of weeks then wanted to start again. I'd just concentrate on stretching her reading, times tables, punctuation and grammar and she'll be fine by the sound of it.
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

I was worried dd would either peak too early or just get bored with the prep. She had a fab tutor who used to give her a book to read each week (books she wouldn't normally have chosen for herself). She told us to focus on vocabulary, keep up the reading and also recommended some good apps. Dd really liked ruzzle (a word finding game), she also loved (and still does) the 24 maths game ( you can buy the cards on Amazon). It is hard to keep them interested and the summer is a another potentially tricky time as they are not in school mode then. We also built up quite slowly, question types first (I know things have changed this year!), ten minute tests, full tests untimed and then full tests timed. It was quite slow and steady prep which seemed to work as dd has got the result she wanted.
CKMum

Post by CKMum »

The only thing I would say it give them plenty of breaks from the tests, but do a few throughout the hols, but only 10-15 minutes, and not every day. They can easily forget tactics/methods that they know now, so worth just doing a few minutes every now and then to keep that side of things fresh.

What we did with my DD last summer was make it as much a game as we could - and at the end of the day told her just to enjoy it. It wasn't going to be the end of the world if she didn't get in (she did). Sadly saw parents doing last minute cramming with some kids as we waited to go into the school on the actual test day - now if that isn't pressurising your DC I don't know what is!

All the best and I hope it doesn't consume your mind in the next couple of months (easier said than done!). We start all over again with DS #1!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now