Missed registration date

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Missed registration date

Post by Amber »

DS2 changed his mind about where he wanted to sit the exam with about a month to go and we were told to contact the school he wanted to sit at to see if they were happy. They were and it was done with the bare minimum of fuss and noise. I don't know if you have a son or a daughter, but the admissions officers at both the boys' Gloucester grammars are so lovely that I imagine if it is in their power to sort this out, they will and your best bet is a personal approach to one of them, if your DC is a S.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

I hope you don't mind me asking JD7 but how did you miss the date ? Have you been overseas ? Your reason may well affect the outcome. We do have a lad coming back to our school after being overseas for 3 years. Is it the same scenario ? Or we're you just unaware of the change ?
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Tolstoy wrote:Have you tried ringing the LEA because I am pretty sure they still organize it all?
Not in Gloucestershire. As all the grammars are academies, they organise and run it themselves.

As for contacting the schools, it's worth considering that whilst there will be some staff in for GCSE/AS/A2 results, most of the admin staff will be on holiday. These people are often on 'term-time only' contracts so are not expected, nor paid, to be at work out of term-time. I would expect only the exams admin staff and teaching staff to be in; the exams officer is probably not the person who handles the 11+ - that is likely to be the admissions officer.

Of course, the schools could pay for the admissions staff to be in school over the school holidays to handle enquiries regarding the admissions test, but that would cost quite a bit of money which would have to be taken away from somewhere else; being academies, they have to be very careful with the pennies.
Capers
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

If it is a boys school you are after it might be worth trying Crypt today as I have just had some parentmail info messages so someone has been updating things and it might well be the Head's PA.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I know when we had 'blazer issues' just before the start of yr7 and the admissions secretary at Tommies was definitely working!
JD7

Post by JD7 »

No luck, I'm afraid, will be late sitting in March....such a long time to wait. :(
Good luck to everyone else for Saturday, though!!
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

JD7 wrote:No luck, I'm afraid, will be late sitting in March....such a long time to wait. :(
Good luck to everyone else for Saturday, though!!
Sorry to hear that JD7. I think a lot of us will be wishing March was here a bit quicker too -it's horrible not being able to plan the future. How soon after the exam in March will you know? Hopefully not too long.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Wow ! that's amazing JD7. The same has happened to my friend, she was just so snowed under with work it all passed her by, such a shame as her DD is v. bright. She will be interested to hear this. Do they allow this for all late registrations or does it have to be exceptional circumstances ? Also, how does it work in that it is after allocation day ? do you have to then appeal or are they saving a certain number of spaces for latecomers ? also, is it the same paper ? She will be very interested to know.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
JD7

Post by JD7 »

Hi Sunshine, not sure but they have just said will have to now wait till March, take exam and poss go on waiting list. Best to tell your friend to call them this week and ask if they can be added to late list. Good luck !
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Will do, thanks ! :D
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera