Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:11 am 

Hi there, does anyone know if any personal timing devices are allowed in the exam?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:26 am 

I've told DS to take his analogue watch off and put it on the desk. I'm hoping that's allowed. I can't see why not.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:55 am 

I would strongly advise that your student wears a watch into the exam. They may not be able to see the clock from where they are sitting and their invigilator might not give the time indications that they are supposed to. DG

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:10 am 

I bought my child a large stopwatch; he divided the questions set by the time allowed and a 1 minute buffer to check back his answers or do ones he had left out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:06 am 

Mine wore a watch on the day. We used a kitchen timer at home but also practised using their watches in front of them - as they did in the test I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:32 am 

Daogroupie wrote:
I would strongly advise that your student wears a watch into the exam. They may not be able to see the clock from where they are sitting and their invigilator might not give the time indications that they are supposed to. DG

I understood that with the new exam the instructions and timings were given by a CD rather than the invigilator. We are probably going to be watch-free. If the sections are short (say less than 10 mins) I think that a watch may be an added distraction for my boy. At home these last few weeks we've been doing short sections with a reminder when time is half way through and with 1 minute to go. He's built up his speed now and works as fast as he can. Now it's all about remaining calm, for us a watch would be an added stress.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:16 am 

I was thinking the same thing RV. Being in such short sections will be distraction enough for him as it is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:01 am 

That's a fair point. I may have to rethink.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:14 am 

CEM timings are all on the CD - the clock on the wall is purely there so the candidates can see that, for example, if it is 11 o'clock and the CD says 20 minutes, at 11.20 that bit of the test will be finished. If the CD starts when their watch says 11.03, they may spend valuable time working out how long they have got! However, saying that, both my boys wore a watch when they sat the test, because that was "normal practice" for them. Incidentally, it would be a poor set up by invigilators if there was anyone in the room who couldn't see the clock. (The clock in the room would also, I imagine, preclude anyone then saying at appeal that their child hadn't finished the paper because their individual watch stopped, so I suspect it will be visible - and should be to all candidates!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:11 pm 

RedVelvet wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:

I understood that with the new exam the instructions and timings were given by a CD rather than the invigilator. We are probably going to be watch-free. If the sections are short (say less than 10 mins) I think that a watch may be an added distraction for my boy. At home these last few weeks we've been doing short sections with a reminder when time is half way through and with 1 minute to go. He's built up his speed now and works as fast as he can. Now it's all about remaining calm, for us a watch would be an added stress.

I agree, the new test is good at keeping them on track time wise. A watch could be a distraction.