Finding out the results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Finding out the results

Post by Amber »

RedVelvet wrote: Also give some consideration to distance and how your child is going to get to school.
Excellent point. A read back over this forum for the last few years shows many who haven't thought of how an 11 year old is going to manage 2 buses and a train and a long walk morning and evening. My DSs both know children who used to fall asleep in Y7 as they were so exhausted from ridiculous journeys.

Good luck to all - but please remember, they are just schools. :D
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

We touched on it yesterday, but does anyone know for sure if standardised scores will be released on results day or just the top 120 and then a 'wait and see' until March?
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:We touched on it yesterday, but does anyone know for sure if standardised scores will be released on results day or just the top 120 and then a 'wait and see' until March?
Hi Stressed?Moi? it's just child's ranking on results day. So just the top 120 on that ranking will be defo, which as we know, may be the same child across all 4 schools. So unless a child pretty much aces' the exam we are all in the same boat of wait til March. Hey ho ! at least we're all in it together x
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Cheers sunshine11. So it looks as if the "we're only one point of so in with a really good chance" days are gone then!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Sunshine 11 wrote:
Stressed?Moi? wrote:We touched on it yesterday, but does anyone know for sure if standardised scores will be released on results day or just the top 120 and then a 'wait and see' until March?
Hi Stressed?Moi? it's just child's ranking on results day. So just the top 120 on that ranking will be defo, which as we know, may be the same child across all 4 schools. So unless a child pretty much aces' the exam we are all in the same boat of wait til March. Hey ho ! at least we're all in it together x

Again I may be wrong but even a top 120 place isn't definite, as I understand it, looked after children will leapfrog anyone above them.. Someone correct me if I am wrong
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:
Sunshine 11 wrote:

Again I may be wrong but even a top 120 place isn't definite, as I understand it, looked after children will leapfrog anyone above them.. Someone correct me if I am wrong
well technically that is correct in the sense that the first oversubscription criterion in the event of a tie for places will be looked after children. They still need to pass with a high enough score though. And sadly as we all know, such children are at such a huge disadvantage academically they are unlikely to be represented in large numbers in the top scorers for Pates, which is really what matters here. Another factor is that usually at least 15 children and often more turn down a Pates place from the top 120, and the day there are more than 15 looked after children highly qualified enough to nudge out the next in the waiting list will be an illustrious day for social justice, but unlikely in our lifetime.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

For info, STR's letter states that "we will send results by email after 3.30pm on Friday 10 October" (or by letter if you have requested this)" ........ Monday 13 at latest.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote:
stroudydad wrote:

well technically that is correct in the sense that the first oversubscription criterion in the event of a tie for places will be looked after children. They still need to pass with a high enough score though. And sadly as we all know, such children are at such a huge disadvantage academically they are unlikely to be represented in large numbers in the top scorers for Pates, which is really what matters here. Another factor is that usually at least 15 children and often more turn down a Pates place from the top 120, and the day there are more than 15 looked after children highly qualified enough to nudge out the next in the waiting list will be an illustrious day for social justice, but unlikely in our lifetime.

Amber, any qualifying score will will send a looked after child straight to the top, not just in the case of tie-break. A quote from Pates 2015 admission policy:

"6.2 Qualification and oversubscription criteria
A pupil must achieve the qualifying score in the Test. The score is calculated by adding together the standardised marks from the two papers.
Students are then allocated available spaces in the following order:
• any ‘looked-after’ children1 in the list of qualifying children; and then
• Test rank order, until all Year 7 spaces are allocated."

Marling school states similar, except it states achieving a qualifying score. So perhaps some may get their chance:-)
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

can I just point out that last year Marling had 500 boys asking to share results. My ds passed, but not in top 120, and not even very far above pass mark. Marling didn't give out rankings, as they said they were unhelpful as 500 boys had asked to share.

I am guessing that on ranking ds would have been about 480. But he got a place on first round of applications. many of those 500 were on their way to Pates, Crypt, and Tommies, or even to indie or comp. As far as I understand it, in the end Marling took all the boys who passed this year and last. Some of those were on second round and appeal. They have a PAN of 120, but ds says there are 128 this year in year 7.

The point I am making is the rank is misleading. Don't assume that a low ranking means no place.
Good luck to all your dcs. I am just about to start again with dd in year 5. I am watching with interest what happens this year.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

... starting to feel a little stressed, now. I just want to know one way or the other! *impatient*
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now