So...how did it go ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kismet

Re: So...how did it go ?

Post by Kismet »

PS sunshine

The quote you quoted was one I had quoted earlier, and not something I had said personally. I may not have quoted in the right format and might have cut and pasted, hence the confusion maybe.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

So do we need to put 5 choices ? it's sooo many. I'm still confused about the reason bit too, do we have to give reasons for all or just our number 1.......hope the LEA website doesn't clash when everyone suddenly starts completing their CAF after the 13th !!
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

If you can try and fill all 5 places because if you don't get your 1st choice and you have put nothing else then the council will allocate you a place with a school that has space and it may not be a place you would want.

We have done all 3 GS we are interested in and then 2 comps. If DD hasn't passed the exam it makes no difference to us as our preferred comp becomes our number 1 choice.

The reasons part is if you have sibling at the school or the school has a specific speciality (particularly for SpLD) which is why you have chosen a specific school also if the child has pupil premium or looked after etc. Also includes if you are moving near to the school or have a crown letter and you are moving back in to the area, but both will require extra proof.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Great. Thanks Meds. Sounds like a good plan x
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Hi all,
someone asked upthread if steppefox will be making a table of results this year. I am afraid not (he is my dh), we don't have a dc doing it this year. Next year we will be joining you biting our nails as dd does it.

There is a lot of talk about rankings, and I just wanted to share something I put on another thread:

Last year Marling had 500 boys asking to share results. My ds passed, but not in top 120, and not even very far above pass mark. Marling didn't give out rankings, as they said they were unhelpful as 500 boys had asked to share.

I am guessing that on ranking ds would have been about 480. But he got a place on first round of applications. many of those 500 were on their way to Pates, Crypt, and Tommies, or even to indie or comp. As far as I understand it, in the end Marling took all the boys who passed this year and last. Some of those were on second round and appeal. They have a PAN of 120, but ds says there are 128 this year in year 7.

The write up from the schools says they will give a list of qualifying candidates to LEA. That means the kids who have passed. If you have passed, you have a chance of a place (well, not at Pates) even if you are way down the ranking.

The point I am making is the rank is misleading. Don't assume that a low ranking means no place.
Good luck to all your dcs. I am watching with interest what happens this year.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now