new test, year 5, any pointers?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
steppemum

new test, year 5, any pointers?

Post by steppemum »

Hi all,
ds started at Marling a few weeks ago and is so happy and loves it. When he was preparing we relied heavily on the DIY tips on here, which were great.

Now I am starting again with dd1. She is year 5, a pretty good all rounder, but slow. I am trying to work out what we need to to and am feeling very lost. I just can't seem to get a grip on what the paper contains, what sort of questions there might be, and what we need to be doing. Tutoring isn't an option, it is down to me EEK!

Can anyone recommend resources or websites that have been helpful. Has anyone come up with a suggested DIY timetable/skills to cover etc. Can anyone point us in the right direction to work out what we should be doing?

Thanks everyone.

:D
Debims

Re: new test, year 5, any pointers?

Post by Debims »

We found the online tests at (advertising removed by moderator) very helpful - they aren't timed but do compare your child's results with others taking the same tests so you can see how fast/thorough they are being. Overall my DD found these tests harder than the real 11+. There are VR/non-VR/vocab and maths options as well as mixed-up papers containing all subjects so good for CEM I think - at least my daughter said they had been useful. We are yet to find out whether they worked or not!

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' posts seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members (check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Legitimate tutors are welcome to advertise their services properly on our website. Please see below.

Note:
  • • Tutors can found in the online tutor directory by clicking here

• Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

It seems a very doable paper. Cgp books are good but harder than the actual test. Bond books and first past the post are good too. But really as they recommend read with your child and encourage lots of independent reading too. Discuss new words. We have an electronic dictionary bookmark so DD can look words up. Start a little vocab book of new words which is a nice revision tool nr the end. Also encourage other reading and discuss articles in newspapers to help with comprehension. Make sure you look through her school books on parents eve and pick out words she spells incorrectly the note down to practice later. A tutor really isn't needed just tighten up on what she knows. Good luck :-)
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

hmm I am a bit :? by the moderation on this thread.

I see recommendations for material and helpful websites all over the place on here. Not sure why they have come down so heavily on this thread.
Particularly as I said I wasn't looking for tutors or holiday courses etc, as I will be DIY ing

So any books, or recommendations which are not considered to be advertising, or suggestions wher I can get a better grip on this test, especially as the current glos information page on here hasn't been updated?
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I understand there are are resits next year some time for 2015 entrance so may be that people aren't too keen to reveal what is in the paper as it may give them an unfair advantage over the September sitters. To back up what has been said, you can't do enough reading, spelling, comprehension and maths work.

Well done to your ds on Marling.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

so, if you prepared your dc for the test last month, where did you get examples of the sorts of questions (I know there is no definitive list, they introduce different types to keep it tutor proof) but surely you found somewhere with some suggestions, questions to practise, SOME idea of what needs to be covered?

And for maths, what does she need to know? I keep hearing that it covers subjects only taught in year 6, but what are those subjects, what do I need to make sure she has covered?

Which books did you find helpful? Were there any that were not very helpful?

I am not interested in the questions that were on the test last month, I am just struggling to get a grip of what we need to do. It feels like we are aiming blind.

and verbal reasoning - is that similar to the old VR tests? Or something else?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hi,

There is a ton of cem pointers and information on the special new 'cem' forum that will relate to your new test I think?
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I assume they will refine next year based on this year, so I wouldn't take anything this year as red. Ds was hopeless and couldn't seem to remember anything he did and was pretty shaky on the whole thing, so he has proven no help about the test. This year's sits were completely blind as to what they were to be asked and it is as frustrating as you are finding it. Each of the grammar school websites provide a mini test so that you can see an example of the format, which is much as we knew before the exam, but as I say, this may change I guess based on this year's test, none of us know, so probably best to wait until later next year to see if they update the format. In the meantime, there are heaps of free downloads on the preparation part of this website which were brilliant. In addition we used a bond book for maths and a cgp pack of test papers and just read.... a lot. Maths seemed to be a recap of what they have already learnt but more difficult examples. The non-VR download on here was also good. I realise that YOU aren't interested in specific questions for this year, but as I said, there are people still to sit it next year and this year's parents probably aren't going to want to say much to give it away for 2015 intake. I've given you as much as I know/did FWIW, but I'm just saying that if you don't get many responses, that may be the reason why. You are preparing in plenty of time and I'm sure you will do just fine.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Thanks stressed.
I have found the downloads and so on. It is pretty hard to get a grip on content though isn't it?
I also find some of the information available confusing. For example, I think I have read that it is definitely multiple choice, but then the downloads for CEM seemed to include a section on story writing. That is a whole other set of skills, compared to multiple choice.
The maths is really bothering me. I am not convinced she will have covered it all in class, but her maths is really strong, so if there are areas we need to add, that wouldn't actually be too difficult, but we need to know what they think kids should have covered.

I think one of the things I am finding is that so much of what I can find is commercial. I don't want to buy stuff unless it is recommended. The budget is tight, and needs planning.
Of course I have a good pile of VR books sitting here....

We are starting with vocab and synonyms and antonyms and so on, and quick fire mental maths.

It sounds like you are waiting for results stressed? Good luck to your ds.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Stressed is right. We have just spent a year or more working blind. If you look on the GS websites they probably still gave the familiarisation booklet which was all the info we had. Even now, DS having just sat the test, I'm still not really any the wiser as to what proved useful. The booklet did tell us that it would be multiple choice but this year our children are effectively guinea pigs so there is no guarantee the board will be satisfied theyve reached the right standard of testing and may change the format anyway. We looked at CGP books. DS is a good standard in school maths but still found maths practise and the test hard. I think Stressed is correct in saying just bang away at the basics. I've always tried to tell my son that the only way to understand properly the meaning of words and their context is to read read read. Purely learning definitions does not, I have found with DS, help you create coherent sentences. Good Luck to your DD
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now