so... current yr 7+ parents... tell all!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tiomanisland

so... current yr 7+ parents... tell all!

Post by Tiomanisland »

Well done to all who got the results they were looking for today. And commiserations to those who didn't. Those who use this forum and post/those lurkers amongst us feel for those DD's and DS's/parents who are feeling pretty blue tonight. :o :lol: :oops: :cry: :D :) :(

Our DS did ok and luckily now has a choice of a couple of GS.

A request please:

Any parents out there with kids at grammars in Yr 7+ who would be willing to share the nitty gritty on top 2 or 3 likes and dislikes about their childs' GS? Please share about all schools no matter their location/town!
Eg: Grammar school *** is brill at cultural opportunities, delicious school dinners and the visitors toilets are really clean!
BUT... some computers need updating, no judo club and newsletter is always late.

light hearted this may sound but would be a real help for us and maybe some other parents out there.

thank you!
Last edited by Tiomanisland on Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
CKMum

Re: so... current yr 7+ parents... tell all!

Post by CKMum »

My DD started at Pates this year and absolutely loves it. They have been busy from the get go with clubs and activities every lunchtime. So far, we can't fault it.

Best bits:
Extra-curricular choices
House Music performance in week 4 - standard truly amazing
Not too much homework, but enough to realise the jump from Year 6

Worst bits (from daughter's perspective - as parents we haven't thought anything is bad yet - all facilities are top notch that we are aware of to date)
Homework (but this really isn't an issue - honestly!)
Initially didn't get into the house of her choice, so was very disappointed, but loves it now
Time to eat during the day, we have resorted to packed every day as little or no time to eat at lunchtime as so much going on. Most kids eat at breaktime, so packed more convenient.
Not enough tickets for house music, but we will learn and be on the ball for future events as they go almost immediately. School opened up more, but I guess that's part of the parent learning curve.

As parents both my DH and I are thrilled with the school. DD knew 4 girls in her tutor grp before starting, but has made good friends with others too. Seems a very friendly school. Weekly emails from head of year, Head teacher and PA (if you register) are timely. Very happy all round.

Hope that helps!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Hi I have a dd in Yr 9 at Ribston who loves it and it is a good school for her. I struggle to find anything I don't like other than parents evening are a bit of a scrum but at least you can get to see most teachers. DD now has 3 nights where she has after school activities the latest being a stay at school until 6.30 but we live in Gloucester so no big deal. Picking up by car at 15.30 can be a challenge and best avoided if at all possible as there is a primary school next door and the traffic can be horrendous in the area. Yr 8 trip to Black Forest and Strasbourg is excellent. they have started to use parentpay for the girls to buy lunches so I don't have to keep giving dd change for lunch everyday I would also add that dd has been happy with the level of work she is given and appears to be progressing well in all areas of the curriculum and get on well with her teachers. I have been able to email them when necessary and get prompt and helpful replies.
DS is yr8 at Crypt after a successful appeal 2 years ago. The induction process was fantastic at introducing the yr7s to their new school and made the transition a good one. Be prepared to pay for a laptop using the school lease scheme and get your ds in training to carry a very heavy bag to and from school. We have just been advised of the ski trips for 2016 a choice of Canada ( £1850) or Austria ( £950) :shock:
Not sure I have any real dislikes, DS had a great yr7 -his main gripe has been that the canteen is too small and gets very busy but I think he has worked out he can order and pay for a meal in advance. I would like them to use parent pay for school meals. DS has not really struggled at anything and has even said he enjoys lessons I would not expect him to enjoy so much.
Last edited by DC17C on Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
bananabrain

Post by bananabrain »

I have a dd in Y8 at HSFG and I couldn't be happier with the nurturing and family atmosphere within the school. My dd feels safe and cared for and is stimulated and excited about what she is learning. She took part in last years' school show which she loved and is involved in many music groups. She has never been a fan of PE but has been encouraged to join non competitive sports' groups for fun.
I do struggle to find any negatives; in fact I am trying hard to think of something to write and can't. I think we hit on the right school for the right girl. I know some people consider it old fashioned but that is part of the charm for us.
My ds will be off to Tommies in September so would appreciate any advice there!!! He is a different kettle of fish to mature sis and will need help organising himself, I'm sure.
Amber

Post by Amber »

My daughter has just left Pates and I have 2 sons at STRS. I would not put any dislikes on here as I don't think it would be right but if anyone is genuinely wavering between these 2 schools I would be happy to answer any specific questions via PM.

My commiserations to anyone whose child didn't make the cut today. A lot of it is luck on the day; the system sucks to be honest and I hope you and your child make it through the next few difficult days OK. x
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

Kid in year 11 at Pate's. He has loved every second of it.

Best bits, the teachers' commitment. I have had emails and conversations in the evenings, and when my son had a lot of time off after an operation they all put themselves out in evenings, weekends and lunchtimes to get him back up to speed. The extra curricular opportunities, the music and drama although I was disappointed with House Music this year (the standard was lower than in previous years) it is astonishing how many pupils choose to participate. Always go on the Thursday night as you get an additional song from all singers and musicians there were hundreds on the stage. My son is not at all musical he lives for sport, but he chooses to take part every year. The little or no homework after year 7 I know a child who transferred from another grammar school and he says the lessons move much faster so less need for homework to cover subjects, the cashless system, the respect and independence that is fostered. In year 7 in House Drama 120 year 7s entered carrying lit candles, now that is a school that trusts it's young people. The breath of clubs and TPM subjects. The remote access computer system and online reports.

Downside cost and number of trips. We have one to China and rugby to South Africa in the next year. Amount of after school clubs and sporting fixtures if you live a way away.
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

I have a DS at Crypt and a DD at HSFG. DD is year 7 and is loving it, she can't find anything negative at the moment. It is a school with a really lovely family atmosphere and the staff are very approachable. DS also loves Crypt, he is a different character to his sister and it suits him perfectly. It, too, is a fantastic school - he is year 10, and we cannot fault it. Trust your instincts would be my advice, you know your own child and go with what feels right.
CrossCountryMum

Post by CrossCountryMum »

Interested in any STRS vs. Crypt comparisons :)
justbehappy

Post by justbehappy »

We had not even considered Pates (we ticked it to get a feel for DD's score if they gave out rankings - assuming really that we wouldn't stand a chance - how wrong we were). Now that DD has made top 120 for Pates, we feel we would be crazy not to consider it and really need some feedback. We were considering SHS, but mixed may suit DD better. Now it's thrown all our potential plans out the window.
muddywaters

Post by muddywaters »

My two eldest boys are at Marling in Year 9 and my second boy in Year 7 totally loving it and settled very quickly. I cannot fault the school not only is it fab academically outstanding in all areas (not that I look at Ofsted ratings on a regular basis but for those that do) but it nurtures and supports all of the boys. The head boy did a fantastic speech and said he wasn't necessarily an academic chap but had received such a rounded education and support that he couldn't believe he'd be Head boy and talking to a crowded room at Achievement and Award Night.

I also loved Tommies (my friends went there when I was at HSFG!!) and Crypt - such great Grammars in our area! Obviously Pates is Fab but not for my boys too far to travel and would have been a stretch for all of them as none qualified anyway!!

They will do well wherever they are! *** :o :wink: