Year 5's

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DebsB

Re: Year 5's

Post by DebsB »

I took DD in Y5. She knew some of her friends were going and wanted to go too. We went and she loved it, and I liked it too, so then I knew that it would be worth the hassle and expense of preparing her for the test. If we'd hated the grammar, we wouldn't have bothered with the 11+ at all because our local comp is excellent and she'd just have gone there.
Gl1mum

Post by Gl1mum »

It's never too early to go and look at the schools, try and do a daytime and evening visit as well because they often feel quite different, also if they have school productions or fetes again another great chance to have a look at the school. We went in year 5, and would say definitely go now, you would be surprised how fast the test comes round next September.
warden

Post by warden »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:Definately go; it does help to galvanise thoughts. We sold grammar to our ds in the early days by explaining that the important thing was to have choices. An example we said would be if he passed for Pates (fat chance :D ) he would then have a choice of all of the grammars plus the local comp. That seemed to really focus him. Still a nightmare to get him to study with us over the summer, but we just kept bringing him back to this fundamental. New he's qualified for all but Pates, he has reluctantly but earnestly said "you were right" and "thanks for your help". DD is a Ribston, which is a cracking school and it well worth a look.

My dd will be doing the dreaded "show arounds" today. She said last year that she got one family who hardly spoke and it was quite awkward as she couldn't "get anything from them". So one thing I would ask is that parents consider that it isn't always easy for the kids, and please engage with them (even if you don't like the school on balance) as it makes a massive difference to their confidence - it also makes the time go quicker!!. In dd's case, she left the house at 7.30am today and won't get back until about 7pm. She will be doing lunchtime and evening sessions (with just lunchbreak and a 20 minute break) so a lot of them are very tired. The fact that they get a day off in lieu during the year does soften the blow a bit though.

Hope she and her friends do Ribston proud.
Hi - went round this evening and can confirm the guides did a great job, all seemed really enthusiastic and very proud of their school. DD is sold!
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Stressed?Moi? wrote: My dd will be doing the dreaded "show arounds" today. She said last year that she got one family who hardly spoke and it was quite awkward as she couldn't "get anything from them". So one thing I would ask is that parents consider that it isn't always easy for the kids, and please engage with them (even if you don't like the school on balance) as it makes a massive difference to their confidence - it also makes the time go quicker!!.
That's an excellent point and should probably be added at the top of the stickie about what questions to ask when you're on a tour. It shouldn't have to be said, but...

Likewise, 'engage' means chat; it's not a synonym for interrogate.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

We will be taking dd (year 5) to SHS tomorrow night. She is keen to see the school we are aiming for and it is good to start the process. if she doesn't go to Grammar, we have a lot of schools, but none great, and a difficult choice, so it is good to start looking now.

BUT we took ds in year 5. He wasn't really ready. He was overwhelmed by the whole secondary school idea. He hated loads of things about the school. One of which was having to travel. We have gently persevered, sold it to him on the basis of having choices at each step. We knew the school was right for him, but he was unconvinced.

He has just started year 7. He has loved it from day 1. I mean really loved it totally wholeheartedly. Back in year 5 it was impossible to imagine this. The main reason for the difference is age. He grew up so much in year 6, he was emotionally ready for secondary. He was also older, so a journey which was scary at age 9, he has taken in his stride age 11. The other things he disliked have just not been relevant now at 11.

So I would say go, but remember they won't go there for 2 years, and they will be 2 years older then!
cazien

Post by cazien »

DD and myself went to Ribston and she loved it :D .

We had an absolute fabulous Yr 9 showing us around. She introduced herself, asked how old DD was and really made an effort for my DD to feel comfortable, because she could see how nervous DD was. By the end of the tour I don't really know what I was doing their - DD and Yr 9 were chatting away like old mates :lol:

Thought I was seeing double at times until our Yr 9 guide informed us that she had an identical twin doing the tours as well!

Didn't meet the Head, though we will next year when the tours are on again.

Great advice on here - thank you all so much.