Stroud High or Ribston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DC17C

Re: Stroud High or Ribston

Post by DC17C »

I have to say I was in your dilemma 3 yrs ago and opted for Ribston really for geographic reasons. DD can get the number 10 bus to and from school and the SHS journeys would have needed more input from me and less independence for dd. DD is loving Ribston but I have not doubt she would have been just as happy at SHS. DD was not really into dance before she started but loves it now and is involved in the extracurricular dance as well. There are plenty of girls into other clubs and activities.
Redlocks17

Post by Redlocks17 »

Choosing a school is undoubtably a personal choice...and I echo the other posters that have said that ease of travel and accessibility should definitely be a factor. Just to add another viewpoint though, dd1 gets on a bus at 7.15 and is home at 4.45 - I can hear some parents horrified gasps. Is she tired? Yes to start with she was tired, so she went to bed early, no big deal. Is it worth the journey? absolutely, we chose the best school that suited dd, she loves it! If there had been a similar school closer that suited her, we would have chosen that....

This year dd2 has qualified for 2 grammar schools, our debate has been should she go to the same one as her sister or the slightly more academic one that seems to be more popular. We let dd2 make the choice and she has chosen the same as her sister.

The bottom line is that we are so lucky to have these amazing schools available to our dcs, go with your gut...

As an aside dd1 is a proper tom boy, she was dreading the mandatory dance class and refused to wear a pink leotard, we had to buy dark blue! However, they have done Bollywood, Aztec, Irish dancing, hip hop etc, she absolutely loves it and is now considering a dance GCSE!!! No one is more surprised than she is!!!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Redlocks17...that isn't that long a day.

We live 10 miles from the school and the boys catch a 7.45 bus which gets them back at 4.55. They are in school before 8.30 so a little early but it gives them time to mess about with their pals, and there is plenty of time to get to the bus stop after school - the journey itself is only about 40 minutes (by car about 15-20 depending on traffic).

The issue is where people are considering sending their children to schools that entail longer than an hour to get there....in some cases almost two hours, resulting in an average 12 hour school day, 5 days a week for x number of years. Herein madness lies...
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

I would also advise go for the school which is easiest to get to.
Not just for the child, but you too will be expected to go to Parents evenings, concerts, social events and deliver forgotten books and PE kits, even collect sick children from school.

Also remember that you too should be part of the school community and need to get to know other parents, which is easier if you live locally.
Both are very good schools.