HSFG uniform

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stroudydad

Re: HSFG uniform

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote:If you were choosing a girls' grammar school on uniform, then HSFG would have to be your choice DebsB - they look nice in navy skirts and blazers and a stripy blue and white blouse. Definitely nicer than Ribston's green and yellow, Stroud High's purply-reddy and Pates boring grey and black.

Actually Amber I have to agree...
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:
Amber wrote:If you were choosing a girls' grammar school on uniform, then HSFG would have to be your choice DebsB - they look nice in navy skirts and blazers and a stripy blue and white blouse. Definitely nicer than Ribston's green and yellow, Stroud High's purply-reddy and Pates boring grey and black.

Actually Amber I have to agree...
Style gurus the both of us stroudydad.
fairweathergardener

Post by fairweathergardener »

Weaver is bang on re the uniform. The only other thing I'd add is that there is an online store (actually based in Cheltenham), called Sturdy Kids which sell the skirts if you can't get the right size in the Glos shop. They are so friendly in the Glos shop - much more pleasant an experience than when I used to have to go the the Famous with my older daughter.
My daughter was tiny when she started and so I bought the shorter skirt (that the Glos shop say the school don't like, but it was the correct length for my DD - still on her knee). The pleated skirt was way too big on the waist, so we didn't go with that one.
In the winter, as Weaver says, most girls wear tights. In the summer, it's neutral tights or navy ankle socks.
Shoes - any black as far as I can see - not high. Most seem to wear the brogue type lace up. We have a navy cardigan and a navy v neck jumper - you can wear any ; they don't have to be regulation but they do have to look similar to the regulation - not long and not hanging under their blazers. The regulation ones are reasonably priced enough and wear very well. Any coat as long as it's dark and not demin ( I think they specify what is and isn't allowed in more detail on some info you will get).
Blazers get a hammering. I can't believe my daughter's blazer is only just over a year old!
School bags - any are ok - large and strong. Most seem to have the Kath Kidston bags, but I haven't succumbed yet.
Ties definitely required with winter uniform. Never seen any of the younger girls in trousers.
Earrings are allowed but should be discreet and must be taken out or taped during sport. Hair is allowed down. Nail varnish isn't allowed except clear.
Hope that helps - oh and I'd agree - it IS the nicest uniform in my opinion - very smart even when it's not, if you know what I mean! Navy and white with a bit of red - fantastic!
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Amber and StroudyDad your comments about liking uniforms reminds me of DSs appeal. We asked him for his reasons why he wanted STR and one of his reasons was he thought it had the smartest uniform, we mentioned it at the appeal and it made everyone smile.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

MedievalBabe wrote:Amber and StroudyDad your comments about liking uniforms reminds me of DSs appeal. We asked him for his reasons why he wanted STR and one of his reasons was he thought it had the smartest uniform, we mentioned it at the appeal and it made everyone smile.
At the risk of boring people, from a very young age I wanted to go to tommies....for two reasons, One of which was the uniform.. I am still proud of being able to wear it.
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

Well, we went to the open evening last night. She liked it just as much as she did last year, and says she definitely wants to go there. She didn't say anything more about the tights issue, or about wanting to go to a school where she'd be allowed to wear trousers, so I kept quiet about it. I think we may have some drama next summer when we buy the uniform, or next autumn when it starts to get colder and she has to choose between wearing tights or being different from almost everyone else, but we seem to have successfully avoided the "reject the school because of the tights" problem. :lol:

Thanks again everyone. :)

PS The subject of the website came up in a conversation I had with one of the teachers about something else, and he said that the whole website is soon to be redesigned and they've got a new team dealing with it, if I understood him correctly. So maybe information will become easier to find on there. :)
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

I didn't think DD would like tights much, never having worn them at primary. For info though, I also bought over the knee socks (in navy) from M and S as she used to wear over the knee socks at primary and they are a good alternative as they look like tights :D
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

scaredycat wrote:I didn't think DD would like tights much, never having worn them at primary. For info though, I also bought over the knee socks (in navy) from M and S as she used to wear over the knee socks at primary and they are a good alternative as they look like tights :D
Ooh good idea scaredycat. I remember having those when I was at school. I'll suggest them when it comes to the time. Thanks. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now