Outsider ranking at Pates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kismet

Outsider ranking at Pates

Post by Kismet »

Wisely or unwisely, in a moment of madness, I asked Pates where DS had ranked as he hadn't reached the qualifying standard. This is in spite of the fact that he, and we, are very happy that he has qualified for Tommies and Crypt. Logistics mean that we will go with Tommies and are thrilled to be able to do so.

DS ranked 190 for Pates. This now makes me wonder if there is any point in pursuing any other avenues. I'm assuming that the majority that qualify for Pates take up the place so I appreciate it's probably pie in the sky thinking to even wonder if anyone at that ranking has ever been known to get a place, by appeal or otherwise, but thought I'd ask you lovely people out there as you've been very helpful on my journey (I hate that phrase!). Staying in Cheltenham and having both children at the same school (yes, I love pie in the sky ideology) would be just so much easier
kenyancowgirl

Re: Outsider ranking at Pates

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If you have space on your CAF form and Pates is your preferred first choice, put it down as number 1 and Tommies as number 2 (if that is your preferred second choice). If your son has no chance at Pates, due to the ranking, Tommies will be looked at as if it is your preferred first choice, so you have lost nothing.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Thanks KCG, we may consider resubmitting the CAF. I guess it means DS may one day get on to the Pates waiting list, though I suspect not.
justbehappy

Post by justbehappy »

Hi Kismet - we were at the Pates Open Morning last week, where the top 180 were invited. I think I've read somewhere that they normally go down to the 150's, but this year is very different and I think the results have surprised everyone. I think it's worth putting it on the CAF too. Especially as it wont go against your 2nd choice.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

justbehappy wrote:Hi Kismet - we were at the Pates Open Morning last week, where the top 180 were invited. I think I've read somewhere that they normally go down to the 150's, but this year is very different and I think the results have surprised everyone. I think it's worth putting it on the CAF too. Especially as it wont go against your 2nd choice.
Just interested, in what way are they different and does that just apply to Pates do you know?

To the OP can I just ask what was your ds's ranking for STRs and Crypt is as this may be of interest to some.

Also, Never say never I say.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I guess you could appeal. Some are successful, it would be interesting to know why? Personally having siblings in the same school and not having to bus your DC to another town seems fair grounds to me and I guess with your DSs score academic evidence shouldn't be too hard to come by :) Nothing to lose if you have a place your happy with.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I may be wrong but you have said he hasn't been deemed as reaching the qualifying standard, so I don't see that there would be any chance of entry, other than by appeal or in year.
justbehappy

Post by justbehappy »

Sorry Stressed?Moi? I don't have specific info (apologies for misleading anyone) - just going by what people have said in previous posts on the forum, plus feedback from friends at other schools/other parents at DD's school. A lot more boys passed at our school this year, and some of the expected DC's didn't - others that didn't expect to, did. Perhaps that's just typical results. At the end of the day, the test is designed to do it's job, so it must of.
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:I may be wrong but you have said he hasn't been deemed as reaching the qualifying standard, so I don't see that there would be any chance of entry, other than by appeal or in year.
This is true. If you were to appeal you would be doing so on both non-qualification and oversubscription grounds. I think last year they went to around number 145 but that is out of the 180 who were deemed qualified.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

justbehappy wrote:Sorry Stressed?Moi? I don't have specific info (apologies for misleading anyone) - just going by what people have said in previous posts on the forum, plus feedback from friends at other schools/other parents at DD's school. A lot more boys passed at our school this year, and some of the expected DC's didn't - others that didn't expect to, did. Perhaps that's just typical results. At the end of the day, the test is designed to do it's job, so it must of.
No problem. I just find this sort of thing interesting - sad, I know!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now