Outsider ranking at Pates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kismet

Re: Outsider ranking at Pates

Post by Kismet »

Thanks all. That gives us a few points to mull over. You are right, Amber and Stroudydad, we were told DS didn't reach qualifying standard, which I presume is the mark rank 180 got but I'd like to think we can't have been far off if only 10 places away (so near and yet so far!)

Yes, Tolstoy, we have reasonable academic evidence as our school did subscribe to CATS and SATS but we don't know what sort of standards the others achieved. I will have another look at what Pates said about grounds for appeal.

That said, the top 2/3 get in and the next 1/3 wait. If the marking is accurate that's a whole lot of children ahead of us........which takes me to the 'what if he then struggled at the bottom of a heap of creme de la creme, anyway? question......

Oooh, maybe I shouldn't have asked for the ranking in the first place. We feel lucky to get to Tommies and I don't mean to appear dissatisfied.....

Stressed, you asked where DS is ranked otherwise. He is in top 108 for STRS and top 112 for Crypt.

I might still redo the caf and then have a think
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Just an update.....unless we come to some momentous decision we don't intend to appeal but will keep Pates on the CAF as we have nothing to lose. Off to Tommies open day tmoro tho and very excited......I'm still not sure about the blue building tho
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Plenty of Pates passers do not take up the place. The most important thing is to choose the right school for your child! If Tommies felt right (& the convenience of location really should not be overlooked as they are there for a long time) then go for it. We had our hearts set on Denmark right from the start & were completely thrown when she passed for Pates. Much heartache followed (a lot brought on by other people's reaction to us suggesting we weren't going to take the place) but ultimately Pates wasn't as suited to her as Denmark is & she is thriving whilst having the convenience of a 15min walk/5 min drive. Go with your heart :)
cazien

Post by cazien »

Watermelon8 wrote:Plenty of Pates passers do not take up the place. :)
I can fully support this - I know at least 4 DC's opted for Glos Grammars even though they had top 120 for Pates a few years ago.
This year, I know of 3 who are doing the same.
You have to remember it is your DC who will be doing the travelling for the next 6+ years. Go with which ever school they feel would be the most suitable for them.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Tolstoy wrote:I guess you could appeal. Some are successful, it would be interesting to know why? Personally having siblings in the same school and not having to bus your DC to another town seems fair grounds to me and I guess with your DSs score academic evidence shouldn't be too hard to come by :) Nothing to lose if you have a place your happy with.
Having siblings in the school and not having to bus your DC to another town may indeed seem like fair grounds to us, but not to an appeals panel. It would be a non-qual appeal so not only would you need outstanding academic evidence, but also good reason why the DC did not reach the qualifying standard.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Hence I mention the academic evidence issue in my post FluffyCat :) I am also aware that the marks difference between someone in the top 180 and someone just outside can be minimal. I would assume as cazien DC scored highly in the test then caziens DC is of high ability and will be able to show this in other ways than a one off test where he might have guessed one or two answers incorrectly whilst someone guessed them correctly.

I often notice the attutude to appealing for Pates is totally different to appealing for other schools. Personally I sense snobbery in it, as if this school is so special that they should not be bound by the same set of rules as others. You have a right to appeal for any refusal of a school place. The toughest part for Pates I guess is the fact that it is oversubscribed. So academic evidence will never be enough. As sibling policy is often applied as a criteria for state schools there must be a valid reason for this. If an appeals panel is supposed to be impartial then there may be some who agree. Also many schools have catchments so the same argument could apply.

Cazien my DSs tell me that STRS is now reminiscent of a certain well known Swedish store :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tolstoy wrote:I often notice the attutude to appealing for Pates is totally different to appealing for other schools. Personally I sense snobbery in it, as if this school is so special that they should not be bound by the same set of rules as others. :
I think the difference with Pates is that people treat it as hallowed ground - it is talked about in terms of 'great opportunity' and that is what creates an aura around appealing or being almost successful. And whereas people are quite happy to criticise other schools, there is an unspoken feeling that any criticism of Pates must arise out of sour grapes. If someone has chosen a school which 'feels right', is close to home and the child is happy to go there, why look at another school? It only happens with Pates and as someone whose child has just left, I can reassure everyone who didn't get in that there are other schools in Gloucestershire which are just as 'good', even if the headline scores are a bit lower and they don't have climbing walls.
DSs tell me that STRS is now reminiscent of a certain well known Swedish store :lol:
There may be some truth in that, though the new library and sixth form centre are really nice and were very overdue.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

They also built a very nice food tech classroom a couple of years back. I thought it was great that an all boys school was prioritising this area. Still reaping the benefits of those lessons in this household :)
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Couldn't agree more Amber, Pates is just like any other school... It teaches children. If you qualify, if iris the right kind if school for your Ds and it fits in with the WHOLE family's life then fine. But if not send your DC somewhere more suitable..
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I wonder if in years to come this will become less of an issue, not just with Pates. With all schools now issuing rankings, rather than scores, maybe it will stop the parents thinking one school is 'better' than another because a pass is more difficult. Then parents will just pick the school that suits best? I don't know...

We are lucky that we have such a great choice of schools.

Kismet, hope you enjoyed Tommies today.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now