Outsider ranking at Pates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
RedVelvet

Re: Outsider ranking at Pates

Post by RedVelvet »

They're also enthusiastic about 'future chef'. My boy loved it last year and can now cook one meal really well. :D
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Mmmmmm, yum. I look forward to handing over control of the kitchen. So far, DS can just about manage to do us hot dogs and can sorta do rocky road. Off on a tangent I wondered if anyone knows any vegetarians at Tommies and how they get on generally. I can see the canteen does a reasonable job of offering choice.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

For a long time my son was vegetarian and even now only eats a very limited amount of meat. To be honest he seems to survive on French bread pizza and fruit at school. He often eats at break rather than lunch. It's not ideal. After several discussions I've decided this is a battle not worth fighting! He has a good breakfast and eats well at home so I've had to let lunch times go a little.

I think there's plenty of vegetarian choices but there are things he'd rather do than eat!
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I'm vegetarian but DS eats meat, but he is very aware of vegetarian food and that sometimes it is tastier he has been known to deliberately choose vegetarian over a meat dish. He has come home and said that they always have at least one vegetarian choice of the main meals.

But like your DS RedVelvet DS tends to eat at break time with a panini (lots of choice again) as he prefers to be involved with clubs at lunchtime or doing something else. But also break is much later in the morning than at primary school and then lunch is also much later so by break he is actually hungry and so by filling up with food then he is not hungry at lunchtime, but by the time he gets home he would strip the cupboards of food if I wasn't careful :lol:
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

At STR or Crypt does anyone know if lunch is before or after lunchtime clubs (I don't know what time lunch is from and to)? Can't see eating a meal and then playing sport ending well!
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

At STR clubs are at the same time as lunch, they only have an hour, which is why DS eats his lunch and break time. But some of the sports clubs: rugby, cricket etc are after school and if involved in drama performances then rehearsal is after school. It's very much eat on the run as the dining hall gets very full which is also another reason why DS eats at break.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

MedievalBabe wrote:At STR clubs are at the same time as lunch, they only have an hour, which is why DS eats his lunch and break time. But some of the sports clubs: rugby, cricket etc are after school and if involved in drama performances then rehearsal is after school. It's very much eat on the run as the dining hall gets very full which is also another reason why DS eats at break.
OK, thanks for that MB.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Amber wrote:We have had some laughs over the cooking at STRS recently. This year they seem to have thrown out the 'healthy eating' agenda (DS1 had to spent agonising weeks in Y8 or 9 trying to centre a project around a healthy bolognese sauce) and the boys seem to be allowed to cook pretty much whatever they like. I was reduced to helpless laughter recently when told that there had been a chip pan fire during a Year 9 cookery class - they had gone from healthy bolognese to chips! My son loves cooking and baking and I am delighted with how it is valued there - and the emphasis seems to be on having a good time too.

... that healthy bol sauce goes down well here. :) and the pizza's DS1 learnt to make there are a regular weekend T.V supper treat. They've just progressed to Gluten free versions.