Keep us posted! Comparison between old and new tests.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CKMum

Keep us posted! Comparison between old and new tests.

Post by CKMum »

Hi everyone,

My DD did the 11+ last year, using the old system and did well. Our eldest DS is gearing up to start preparation for taking the new-style 11+ in 2015. Please keep us posted with how you found the new test. In particular, I would love to hear from parents who have had different children do the two different 11+ tests and how you found the whole experience, from practice to final day - how did the experience compare for your different DCs?

All the very best to all your DCs in September and I really enjoy reading everyone's posts. So encouraging to know there are others all experiencing the same thing - we're not the only mad ones :lol:

CKMum
cazien

Re: Keep us posted! Comparison between old and new tests.

Post by cazien »

My DSs sat the old test a couple of years ago. They were asked to participate in the CEM trial at their Grammar School last year. I think all the Grammars did this trial before deciding to go down this route. They both said the exam was harder and completely different to the one they sat, but unfortunately we were never given results. They did begin to think they may be kicked out if they didn't pass :lol: We are in the same position - stress starts again as DD will sit it next year :roll:
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Will do. So far the preparation is completely different and not easy because of the breadth of knowledge required. I don't think my dd would have passed this new test as the maths would have seen her off which would have been such a shame as she is thriving at grammar now.
CKMum

Post by CKMum »

Many thanks. My DS loves his Maths, so maybe this will be a better test for him over the old version. Will start to get some practice papers too to see how they compare. Grateful for all and any feedback.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

My daughter sat the old style test a couple of years ago, and my son will sit the new version this autumn. So far, I am finding it difficult to be as focussed in preparation because it is just so broad. With GL, you had 21 types of VR to get the hang of (as well as exam technique etc). But this time it's times-tables, learning to read the question and answer it (English, Maths) and practice in patterns for the NVR, and logic for the VR. Oh, and vocab work, and encouraging reading of and discussion of more challenging books. I'm finding myself doing a lot more of 'so, what does that word mean, then?' and encouraging thesaurus thinking. It's all good for his general schooling.

I have no idea what to expect from the outcome. His CATS are good, so I don't view it as a wasted exercise, but I am relieved we have a good comp round the corner... :wink:
Last edited by Weaver on Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

cazien wrote:My DSs sat the old test a couple of years ago. They were asked to participate in the CEM trial at their Grammar School last year. I think all the Grammars did this trial before deciding to go down this route. They both said the exam was harder and completely different to the one they sat, but unfortunately we were never given results. They did begin to think they may be kicked out if they didn't pass :lol: We are in the same position - stress starts again as DD will sit it next year :roll:
The same happened to my DD, but she said the CEM trial was considerably easier than the old test. Maybe it's a boy/girl thing?!
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

I think my DD has peaked too early, the latter test practices of CGP age 11 are sooooo difficult and so much new vocab, such as vicarious, apparition, rancid, dextrous, ephemeral, ubiquitous, taciturn (and that's just this week).... I could go on. However, we asked some of her friends if they knew some of the words she was learning that week and they didn't so all in same boat I guess, definitely considering our other options though. It may be Deer Park afterall. I really don't want to stress her over the summer and get her doing loads of practice.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
CKMum

Post by CKMum »

Thanks for those comments - I need someone to pass me a dictionary!!! Those are tough words for 9/10 year olds! Freerice is a good website for helping kids improve their vocab - both my DD and my DS enjoy it (and it donates rice to the World Food Programme). It starts off incredibly easy and gets harder - so might be worth a look at.

http://freerice.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting about the Boy/Girl thing - my DD passed the 11+ last year but I haven't shown her the new style of papers. Will see what she thinks of them as we start to practice papers with our DS#1. :?
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Another one here following with interest. Ds starts Y7 this sept, and dd1 starts year 5, so we will begin prep in sept.

Fortunately she likes maths, but she likes to read easy books (she can read harder, just prefers easy youngish books) My challenge over the summer is to get her to read some stuff more at her level.
Lynne

Post by Lynne »

Well hopefully the new style 11 plus will mean that the naturally bright children of all backgrounds will pass and get a place, rather than just the ones whose parents can afford tutoring. As Mr Ellicott said, "Pate's isn't for rich kids".
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now