Private school entry to Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Stressed?Moi?

Re: Private school entry to Grammar

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

DebsB wrote:
Guest55 wrote:Stresssed?Moi? They would get free transport if she is PP; low income families won't pay.
No, afraid not, unless it's one of the child's three nearest secondary schools. If you choose to go to a GS further from home, then you have to pay even if you are PP. You can get free transport for a school up to 15 miles away if it is the nearest school that's suitable for your religion or belief, but there's no similar special clause for GS.

Unfortunately you are correct. She looked into it but hit stone walls, which is outrageous. Thank god she was able to get a good solution as her local comp is awful. It's worked out for her, but I'm sure many others are being left behind when they just shouldn't be. I hadn't realised there was free transport to travel to a school suitable for religion or belief though. Isn't that just a choice, the same as choosing to go to grammar?
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:Unfortunately you are correct. She looked into it but hit stone walls, which is outrageous. Thank god she was able to get a good solution as her local comp is awful. It's worked out for her, but I'm sure many others are being left behind when they just shouldn't be. I hadn't realised there was free transport to travel to a school suitable for religion or belief though. Isn't that just a choice, the same as choosing to go to grammar?
They offer free transport to the nearest faith school (of the appropriate faith, natch) for low income families only, provided it's between 2 and 15 miles from your home.

Until a few years ago they used to offer free transport to the nearest grammar school subject to the same sort of restrictions. This led to stupid situations where children didn't qualify for their nearest GS, got a place at one further away, and then couldn't get free transport because it wasn't their nearest. See this thread from 2010:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 16&t=14190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They seem to have scrapped help with transport to GS (unless one of your 3 nearest schools of any type) in 2013 as a cost-cutting measure. This story in the Echo says they were cutting help with transport to faith schools too, but they must have back-tracked on that one, because faith schools still seem to be there in this year's policy.
http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Cu ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

That's really interesting Debs, albeit a bit depressing! The injustice continues apace.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now