Splitting up schoolmates

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MedievalBabe

Re: Splitting up schoolmates

Post by MedievalBabe »

STR are very good at trying to get the boys to mix, they have a trip in September to Stratford Upon Avon which is only their tutor group to give them all a chance to get one another, it last 3 days. Then in March/April they have a whole year trip to the Lake District so the boys can start to get to know other boys across the whole year group. They are also encouraged to join clubs, ideally at least 2, majority of which are at lunch time and they have a wide variety of clubs from sports (which are more likely to be after school), to chess to cooking to Warhammer to drama to dance to various music. There will be plenty to keep them busy.

Also DS said to start with Y7s get let out of lessons early for lunch and at the end of the day whilst they are settling in. Also it doesn't matter if you are on the school bus or the public bus (94 for us all the time) as there is always others on the bus of different year groups and they help each other out. DS was texting one of his bus friends this morning to warn them about the M5 being closed.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Kismet wrote::shock: we have four going from our school to STRS.....what if it's my DS that's the pain :lol:

This made me laugh kismet - I've no doubt he's not your son. Although if he's reporting one irritating boy moving with him, it could be mine :lol: . It's fair to say that my ds could start an argument in a telephone box!

It's hard being a mum. Broke my heart in the early days when he used to say he didn't hav anyone to play with but I always found if we carried on talking long enough he was actually playing with someone.
So true. You usually find though that actually the teacher reports that there aren't any problems and they are very surprised the dc feels like it. Distorted perceptions abound in my experience.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

MedievalBabe wrote:STR are very good at trying to get the boys to mix, they have a trip in September to Stratford Upon Avon which is only their tutor group to give them all a chance to get one another, it last 3 days. Then in March/April they have a whole year trip to the Lake District so the boys can start to get to know other boys across the whole year group. They are also encouraged to join clubs, ideally at least 2, majority of which are at lunch time and they have a wide variety of clubs from sports (which are more likely to be after school), to chess to cooking to Warhammer to drama to dance to various music. There will be plenty to keep them busy.

Also DS said to start with Y7s get let out of lessons early for lunch and at the end of the day whilst they are settling in. Also it doesn't matter if you are on the school bus or the public bus (94 for us all the time) as there is always others on the bus of different year groups and they help each other out. DS was texting one of his bus friends this morning to warn them about the M5 being closed.
Thanks for that medievalbabe - encouraging news. Can't see cookery working - I've tasted his fairy cakes (and so has the bin!). I just looked up what Warhammer is - that's sounds more up his street.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

We've had a letter from STRS this morning, which is mainly about uniform, but also asks us to tell them if our DS has friends they'd like to be with in their form (or boys they'd like to avoid) and they will try to take it into account in working out classes. But no promises.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

I wouldn't worry at all! Sometimes keeping with primary friends is more hindrance than help. Denmark actively mix children who've come from the same school which has been brilliant for my DD. She's been able to make new friends without worrying about offending existing friends & everyone is in the same boat :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now