Ranking cut offs for successfully securing place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DAVISa

Re: Ranking cut offs for successfully securing place

Post by DAVISa »

Does anybody know what the ranking was for Stroud High?
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Anyone know STR's cut off?
MooMoosMum

Post by MooMoosMum »

The last ranking to secure a place for Stroud High was 252.

Phillip - My Daughter was in the top 400. After that, you did not qualify at all.
Phillip

Post by Phillip »

There is still hope then, for your daughter as she did qualify, it just seems so unfair that they pass then don't suceed.

We will just have to wait don't know what to think :roll:
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

Phillip wrote:There is still hope then, for your daughter as she did qualify, it just seems so unfair that they pass then don't suceed.

We will just have to wait don't know what to think :roll:
The thing is, Phillip, it's not about "passing", it's about "winning" - beating the competition. There are a fixed number of places available (more or less). They can't say in October exactly who will and who won't get them, because they can't know who will accept or decline them. That's why they have the three possible outcomes in October - "yes you can come", "sorry no you can't", and "well, it depends on how many others take up the places we offer them whether we'll have space for you".

I know it's hard for you and your daughter, but the system is about as fair as it's possible to make it, (and certainly way way fairer than when comps in the country were able to give places to first preference first). Your daughter is in with a really good chance. OK, at present they do not have a space to give her, but it's really quite likely that somebody somewhere will get a new job and move away from the area, or decide to take up an indy place or something. It might not even be somebody at Ribston. Perhaps somebody at Pate's or HSFG or SHS will do that, and somebody who's currently got a place at Ribston will take their place, leaving one at Ribston for your daughter. Hang in there, and try not to let it get to you.
MooMoosMum

Post by MooMoosMum »

Hi Phillip, based on the fact that your Daughter has missed out by 1 ranking place, I'm really confident things will work out well for you. Also, you said you have an elder Daughter at the school so if you decided to go for appeal, I'm sure this would be in your favour.

I feel disappointed, as two staff at the school had told me that a ranking in the top 400 should be successful in securing a place but as DebsB said, the school don't know who is going to accept or decline so it's just a waiting game until the offer letters are actually issued.

I know someone whose Son was unable to sit the test in September due to illness. I understand that if his Son qualifies for a place and he has a higher ranking than other children who have qualified but did not get a place, then he will be able to take up a place if one is declined. I think what surprises me is the fact that the test for these children didn't take place sooner. You could say that these children have an advantage from having an additional 6 months to prepare and will also have gleaned some information on the contents of the test from others who went through it in September. On the other hand, there are allowances made for the age of the children when they sit the test and they are left in a position where they will only gain a place that has been declined or through appeal.

In April, it will become clear exactly who has declined or accepted their places and where that leaves us. Until then the waiting game continues :(
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

MooMoosMum wrote:I think what surprises me is the fact that the test for these children didn't take place sooner.
I think they leave it this late so that they can have not only the children who were ill or something back in September, but also any children who've moved into the area since then, to minimise the number of new arrivals to the county who have to be dealt with as in year admissions.

Good luck to both of your with your waiting game, and here's hoping for places for both of you. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now