Heading for STRS / Tommies - questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Weaver

Re: Heading for STRS / Tommies - questions

Post by Weaver »

This should probably in be in a HSFG thread, but I bought much of the uniform from the school second-hand shop, and it was good stuff! I bought the blazer new, but skirts and blouses were mostly second-hand. I don't recall spending a huge amount. I'm more daunted by what it's going to cost to kit out my son who's headed for STRS!
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

Weaver wrote:This should probably in be in a HSFG thread, but I bought much of the uniform from the school second-hand shop, and it was good stuff! I bought the blazer new, but skirts and blouses were mostly second-hand. I don't recall spending a huge amount. I'm more daunted by what it's going to cost to kit out my son who's headed for STRS!
Thanks Weaver. When and where is the HSFG second hand shop available, please?
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

They usually have it open on the Parents' intro evenings in the summer term. It is run by the parents' association. You can also ask the school office and they are normally happy to help. My DD bust the zip of her skirt last week, so we did a temp fix and I sent her in with a couple of £ to see what could be found in the stock!

I send all her outgrown uniform back into school so it can be recycled :) They grow so quickly between years 7-9 that they just don't wear things out.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Weaver wrote: I'm more daunted by what it's going to cost to kit out my son who's headed for STRS!
Much less than HSFG I would guess.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

If I remember rightly the whole kit for DS in Y7 was about £100 new for official stuff and then the rest was off the high street. I remember bumping into a friend in a school shop, we were struggling with the white pe shorts, and she was complaining how much she was having to spend on uniform for the local comp as everything had to have the logo on the games kit or a specific style and I know she spent 3 times the amount I did on the whole uniform.

Got a letter today about the intro evening for HSFG and they said the second hand shop was open. Think I will be having a look.
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

Thanks Weaver and MedievalBabe for the info about the second hand uniform at HSFG. I got my letter today too so I'll be taking money for second hand uniform on the 21st. (Must remember to get the letter back off DD who is v excited by it and showing it to anybody who will listen to her and make sure I remember to reply!)
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I've bought most of DS's Tommies stuff (and it was pretty reasonable at about £110 for many items) but was wondering if there is a second hand shop as no-one has mentioned it?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:I've bought most of DS's Tommies stuff (and it was pretty reasonable at about £110 for many items) but was wondering if there is a second hand shop as no-one has mentioned it?
Bottom of page 1, top of page 2 of this very thread SM :) . Yes there is one. No it doesn't open often, but often enough.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

:oops: :lol: . As my dd would say, "er, I knew that!" with the inevitable reply of "no you didn't". Cheers Amber.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

A question to the STRS experts - the uniform list suggest the pullover can be black, blue or grey. So, what is the the 'correct' colour to get, from the boys' point of view?

Also, do they have to get the special rugby teeth guards? My DH went to the meeting last Saturday, but doesn't remember it being mentioned. There's a leaflet about them in the pack they gave out, though...

His blazer was enormous! I don't know what happened at the fitting, but when he is wearing it I can't see his fingers! I know there has to be growing room, but even so. I've emailed to ask if a swap is possible :)

Weaver