Heading for STRS / Tommies - questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kismet

Re: Heading for STRS / Tommies - questions

Post by Kismet »

Hello all. I've just discovered that instrument lessons (piano in this case) are held during academic lessons at Tommies. Anyone have an opinion on how his affects performance and progress on the academic side?
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I know that they rotate them round so they're not always missing the same lesson. We'd be interested to hear about the piano teaching too as we are considering if we should go with in school or after school lessons.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

DS, in year 7, says he has got an important maths test coming up. Anyone have an idea as to what that's about? I thought they didn't have sets in yr 7. I understand they still need to assess them but just wondered why this is different to tests he had earlier in the term.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

It may be their 'order test/grades'. They get tested in all subjects every half term, although it seems a bit early. I asked my Yr7 and he knew that he has a test but not sure what it's for.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Better than me, I asked my ds in year 7 who didn't know anything about it! I remember my dd when she started ribston was tested to within an inch of her life just after starting (in year 10 and still is though :( ) so I assume it's CATs type tests.

Does anyone know the format of the "informal year 7 parents eve" on Wednesday?
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Thanks ladies. My DS has twice forgotten to take in the form so I'm expecting to be barred at the door. There was no point putting it in his bag the night before as he'd still have forgotten to hand it in. My fault for not shoving it in his hand at the door! Might email the office just to ensure I'm counted in the numbers, having juggled my life (well, DD) in order to be there. I've assumed parents evening will just be mingling in the hall with parents and teachers from DSs tutor group etc.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Eeek. What form :shock: :shock: :shock:?
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

There was a letter about parents evening with a return slip. I imagine since it sounds like a free for all rather than appointments there should be no problem if you haven't had one
. You could email the teacher? You can see letters home on the parents gateway if you don't have times etc for the evening
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Kismet wrote:There was a letter about parents evening with a return slip. I imagine since it sounds like a free for all rather than appointments there should be no problem if you haven't had one
. You could email the teacher? You can see letters home on the parents gateway if you don't have times etc for the evening
Thanks kismet, that's really helpful. I hadn't noticed that part of the parents portal, I've just been going into the part specific to ds! I emailed his teacher who responded so all good. I think the evening is a lovely idea.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

It is not a formal parents evening. This is more of an opportunity to meet other parents and put a name to a face with the staff. Some of the staff will not have a clue who your son is whereas others will. You will meet with the PTA, have a few drinks and mingle. If I remember correctly we didn't stay that late.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now