Applying for bus pass

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CyberMummy

Re: Applying for bus pass

Post by CyberMummy »

For some routes, it can work out a lot less expensive to use the scheduled public buses instead of the school charter buses. DS has used these from the start of Y7 and this was the right decision for us. Most of the children on the bus are older but DS is very happy with the arrangement. There is the added advantage of being able to stay to after-school activities and weekend sports fixtures, without making additional travel arrangements.

The main ticket that we use is the Cheltenham and Gloucester Megarider, which we purchase using the Stagecoach Smart system. Stagecoach Smart looks like a credit card and you load the card with the ticket dates that you need using a credit card on a dedicated website. If DS were to lose his card (he hasn't yet), then it can be cancelled and a replacement is sent. The tickets cost £17.50 for one week of unlimited travel anywhere in Cheltenham and Gloucester or £64 for a 4-week block. It is the same price for adults and children and is transferrable, so I can use the same card to attend an evening meeting at the school, which saves me £5 on each occasion.

This form of ticket is usually cost effective when DS is in school for full weeks or nearly full weeks. At the starts and ends of terms, or if DS is going to be out on a trip for part of the week, we use a child's 12-tripper instead or buy single tickets for odd days. The 12-tripper is a paper ticket that you have to buy from the bus driver. You pay the cost of 10 single tickets and get a laminated ticket that entitles you to 12 trips. If you lose a 12-tripper, you cannot get a refund and it is also only valid for travel between two specified stops and expires one month after the day you purchase it.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

CyberMummy wrote:For some routes, it can work out a lot less expensive to use the scheduled public buses instead of the school charter buses. DS has used these from the start of Y7 and this was the right decision for us. Most of the children on the bus are older but DS is very happy with the arrangement. There is the added advantage of being able to stay to after-school activities and weekend sports fixtures, without making additional travel arrangements.

The main ticket that we use is the Cheltenham and Gloucester Megarider, which we purchase using the Stagecoach Smart system. Stagecoach Smart looks like a credit card and you load the card with the ticket dates that you need using a credit card on a dedicated website. If DS were to lose his card (he hasn't yet), then it can be cancelled and a replacement is sent. The tickets cost £17.50 for one week of unlimited travel anywhere in Cheltenham and Gloucester or £64 for a 4-week block. It is the same price for adults and children and is transferrable, so I can use the same card to attend an evening meeting at the school, which saves me £5 on each occasion.

This form of ticket is usually cost effective when DS is in school for full weeks or nearly full weeks. At the starts and ends of terms, or if DS is going to be out on a trip for part of the week, we use a child's 12-tripper instead or buy single tickets for odd days. The 12-tripper is a paper ticket that you have to buy from the bus driver. You pay the cost of 10 single tickets and get a laminated ticket that entitles you to 12 trips. If you lose a 12-tripper, you cannot get a refund and it is also only valid for travel between two specified stops and expires one month after the day you purchase it.
Thanks for the detailed info cybermummy -really helpful. We are going to be "going public" next year so just doing the private to start with to see how he gets on. Break him in gently!!!
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Cyber mummy we are like you and DS has used stagecoach since Y7 and when DD starts she is also going on stagecoach. She is nervous but we have pointed out that there will be lots of older girls on the bus and as DS has found they all keep an eye out for each other.

Another advantage is they are kept out of the silly behaviour on the school buses, from posting pictures online which can cause bullying to just general silliness. DS is not the type of child who takes even minor teasing well and so being in a more public environment means there is much less of it. The behaviour is so good that last year a letter was quoted that the head had received from an elderly couple who was impressed with the behaviour of the boys.
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

No chance of a public service bus for us - there aren't any going from Charlton Kings to HSFG. But I see from my online banking that the deposit cheque for the Bennetts bus has cleared, so I'm hoping that means she's definitely got a place on it. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now