Crypt PAN to increase to 128

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scaredycat

Re: Crypt PAN to increase to 128

Post by scaredycat »

I think you are right Amber, I have a DS who is studying for GCSEs at Crypt. For a few years now the focus has been on developing the 6th form so that students do not leave after GCSEs. They have been working hard to retain existing students with some success and have also recognised that the 6th form also needs to provide a transition between the level of support provided for GCSE study and the increasingly independent study that will follow at university. It does seem much more of a "beauty contest" with 6th forms pitting themselves against each other. Call me old fashioned but I still think it must be difficult to change schools at that stage when you are so used to the culture and "traditions", particularly at grammar school.

I know Crypt have the space and the staff to increase their pan but I'm still half expecting a correction to the original letter!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I cannot help thinking the issue with moving at sixth form is also driven by where the children live. Any one living to the north and east of Gloucester but qualified for the more south westerly schools are probably inclined to tolerate the longer journey for the chance of a grammar place but would move to schools more geographically suited if they could and the opportunity does open up at sixth form.

I do wonder if this is all down to the school or could the county be actively looking for extra school places as well?
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Just to check whether they mean this September or not I've just had a look at the Admissions part of the STR's website as I know all grammar schools are increasing their PANS. It reads that 2015 admission PAN is 108, and for 2016 it is 120, so it looks as though it's next year for them. Not sure about the others though.

Edit

Just checked Crypt and they are saying there will be 112 admissions for 2016.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

The letter does state from September 2015 and this as being a response to being over subscribed. If it is the case then the website will not have been ammended yet . There is previous thread stating that Crypt was the one GS that had not yet announced a change to PAN.
Amber

Post by Amber »

DC17C wrote:I cannot help thinking the issue with moving at sixth form is also driven by where the children live. Any one living to the north and east of Gloucester but qualified for the more south westerly schools are probably inclined to tolerate the longer journey for the chance of a grammar place but would move to schools more geographically suited if they could and the opportunity does open up at sixth form.
In my experience, this is not the case. There is a temptation to 'shift upwards' for those who feel able. I am seeing children feeling they 'should' move schools to somewhere 'better'. In the cases I know about (into double figures this year) this is absolutely not driven by parents, who in some cases are actively against the move. In these cases the geography is not a factor at all - it hasn't even featured in more than peripheral discussion. It is a cultural shift which is fuelled by clever marketing of schools based on their results and numbers of Oxbridge entrants. I hate it.
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

I don't think it is so much to do with where you live, I think Amber is right. School's are having to really sell their sixth forms based upon their results. This means that they are having to invest more and they are all trying to offer that little bit extra to try and retain and attract the best students. i guess it's a different experience for students and parents when they get to sixth form, most unlike the 11+ where the choice is very often taken away!
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

An academy can increase its PAN as and when it wants to, so Crypt could increase from this year without consultation.

The Stroud schools & Pate's went down a different route and included the increased PAN in their admissions policy - the policy for the following year has to be put up for public consultation for a couple of months, then the responses considered by the governors.
DC17C

Re: Crypt PAN to increase to 128 Update

Post by DC17C »

It looks like the PAN is not changing for this year after all but there is scope for appeals to be successful with some suitable alternative academic evidence. :wink:
"Following some requests for information on the above paragraph, I wish to make the following clarification:
Our current Pupil Admissions Number for Year 7 is 112. However, following successful appeals last year, we finally admitted 128 boys in our current Year 7, which resulted in four forms of 32 boys. I am grateful to my colleagues on the staff for dealing so well with this increase in numbers and, through their hard work, ensuring that all students in the School continue to receive an outstanding education.

In anticipation of the sustained popularity of the School the Governors have authorised, if required, the addition of an extra form in Year 7 in September 2015 to accommodate successful appeals above our current admission of 112 pupils. However, we are not increasing our Published Admissions Number for 2015 entry, which still remains at 112."
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Interesting DC. Introducing another form to cater for increased intake rather than cramming people in is pretty impressive. Well done them.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now