Piano lessons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
capers123

Re: Piano lessons

Post by capers123 »

Might I suggest as an alternative popping into Gloucestershire Music - Five Valleys Music Centre at Archway School on a Saturday Morning. I think they run classes for young children - fun but educational. They then naturally progress to the various choirs, ensembles, bands & orchestras run there, then many progress up to the county level groups. They don't teach instrumental lessons (apart from a few obscure instruments not usually taught around in schools), but will be able to point you in the right direction.

After a few years, you may care to join one of the adult beginner bands that runs at the same time to stop you getting bored whilst waiting...

The new head of Gloucestershire Music, Lisa Mayo, is inspirational and exciting as Steve Legge (her deputy) :)
Capers
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

It was a couple of years ago now, but I think our daughter was late 6 or early 7 when she took-up piano.

We've tried to expose her to a range of different activities, some organised by the school at lunch-time or after school (Piano, Badminton Club, Chess Club, Choir, LAMDA), and some organised by ourselves (Rainbows, Ballet, Tae Kwon Do, Trampolining, Stagecoach, Swimming). The ones she didn't enjoy have fallen by the wayside, but she's kept going with the rest - because she enjoys them.

I'd say that learning to play the piano (or any another instrument) doesn't help with the 11+ in itself, but I think that getting used to setting your sights on a target (the next piano grade, the next Tae Kwon Do belt, the next swimming badge), understanding what you need to reach that target, and then putting-in the necessary effort/practice is extremely relevant - and a useful life-skill generally.

But the key here is that you need to work out (often by trial and error) what you child enjoys - they'll only put in the effort on a regular basis if they enjoy the task at hand. So equally important is instilling a love of learning, so that they want to put all the effort that accompanies taking the 11+.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

capers123 wrote:Might I suggest as an alternative popping into Gloucestershire Music - Five Valleys Music Centre at Archway School on a Saturday Morning. I think they run classes for young children - fun but educational. They then naturally progress to the various choirs, ensembles, bands & orchestras run there, then many progress up to the county level groups. They don't teach instrumental lessons (apart from a few obscure instruments not usually taught around in schools), but will be able to point you in the right direction.

After a few years, you may care to join one of the adult beginner bands that runs at the same time to stop you getting bored whilst waiting...

The new head of Gloucestershire Music, Lisa Mayo, is inspirational and exciting as Steve Legge (her deputy) :)
Capers we love the Archway group, my daughter's confidence has really increased. It's a supportive and fun atmosphere.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now