HSFG evening on 21st May

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DebsB

HSFG evening on 21st May

Post by DebsB »

Looking for advice about this, please. I was expecting it to be just for parents like the equivalent one a few years ago at DS's school, but the letter says it's for girls as well. DD was keen to come, but now something else has come up on that evening that she really wants to do too, so she's torn. If she doesn't come, what will she have missed out on? Will it be a problem if somebody delivers her to HSFG half way through the evening and she tries to come in, find me and join in at that point? (She'll be going to the taster day, so that won't be a problem.)

Thanks everyone. :)
Flash

Re: HSFG evening on 21st May

Post by Flash »

Hi DebsB

The children sit on benches at the front of the hall with the parents seated behind them. There are lots of speeches and some music. The girls are then taken off for 15 mins and split into 4 classrooms where Year 7s are supposed to entertain them. Then they meet you in the dining hall.

DD met us in the dining hall at the end desperate to leave lol. She found it all very boring and the year 7s didn't do anything with them in the classroom and no-one spoke to her. Of course this year she will be one of the year 7s!

So I would say don't worry about her missing it! It can be very long and boring for the girls. Dd found it hard trying to make conversation with the other girls too. I would rather she hadn't come.

The taster day on the otherhand she loved and made lots of friends :D
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

We found it very informative last year & lovely to hear testimonials of very happy pupils plus talented musicians :D Girls sit on benches at the front then go off in their forms. First time they'll see who they will be with. I think it's probably quite intimidating for the Y6's but a really good experience for them also & a push outside their comfort zones. I would try to make it if you can
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

DD loved it last year as she got chatting to some of the other new girls - this year she will be one of the year 7 greeters and is looking forward to it. It would be a shame to miss it as its a nice welcome to the school and they do give some useful info for parents and girls. We encouraged DD to talk to as many people as possible as they do split them up from their primary school groups and it is a good opportunity to get to know a few of the others :D