23 November 2007 - Results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Stroud Mum

Post by Stroud Mum »

Yes, there is support here! I have managed to convince my husband of the nature of this forum as he has started to question my time spent online! Which school(s) have you sat for?

Post by Guest »

My son has his heart set on The Crypt and that is where he sat his test. His words were that both papers were "easy" but you just don't know! In the run up to the test his scores in the practice papers were good and in his final practice paper he scored 78/85 and had 15 minutes to spare! I did try and encourage him to go over his answers if he had time to spare on the day but although he said did finish in plenty of time he said he didn't need to check his answers! Saying that later on last Saturday he then revealed that he did guess "a couple" and when pressed said maybe 3 questions out of the two tests. Time will tell I suppose...
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Stroud Mum wrote:I have been told by Stroud High that you will get a letter with score and indication of rank - either in or out of top 120 - or a letter to say they have not passed.
I thought SHS said that if they're in the top 120 (or so), you would be told that they'd passed. If they pass but are below that, you'll be told their score. If not passed, then told not passed. Even so, being in top 120 still does not absolutely guarantee a place - you might get a transfer-into-area child before the places are allocated who has a higher score - but gives a pretty good idea. The real grey area is the pass but not 120... you may well get a place once those who have also asked for a place at Pates have gone there, but then again, maybe not. Save up your reasons to appeal in that case - you have nothing to loose but your sanity!!!
Capers
Stroud Mum

Post by Stroud Mum »

Yes, well originally I was told that if they are in the top 120 you will just be told they have passed - but when I spoke to the admissions officer this week they had changed that to include the rank, which is what I think Pates are doing also. As for out of area, don't even get me started.....anyway don't they go on the waiting list in rank order as if you come in as a late transfer you are not deemed to be in the "first round" of allocations??
Orson

Nov. 23 2007

Post by Orson »

Pates will tell you that:
your child is in the top 120 (not the ranking, though)
OR that your child is between 121 and 160 inclusive (with the ranking)
OR that your child has missed out.

Orson
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I have just had a reply to my email to the Choice Advisor(see below)-and the information seems to have changed again! As for Tommies,admissions have also confirmed that we will not know the score.

I was originally told that the grammar schools would be putting the scores on the letters.

The grammars school Head teachers recently had a meeting and could not come to an agreement regarding a standardised approach.

Sir Thomas Rich's and High school for Girls Denmark Road, Stroud Girls High, Ribston and Marling will not be including scores. Stroud Girls will however be putting those who took the exam into quintiles.

According to Pates and The Crypt admissions letter on their website, scores will be included in the letter.
Hope this helps. You may want to contact the schools direct if you have any further concerns
Stroud Mum

Post by Stroud Mum »

What's a quintile?!
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I thought that too!!! That is the exact quote from the email I received.
Stroud Mum

Post by Stroud Mum »

Have just spoken to the choice advisor and she has confirmed Stroud High will be sending out 3 letters ; you've passed and you're in the top 120, you've passed but you're not in the 120 (in which case gives rank) and you didn't pass.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

What an absolute mess!!! Pity the grammar school heads couldn't agree amongst themselves so that parents would have meaningful information.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now