Not Long Now!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
posy

Re: Not Long Now!

Post by posy »

Hi

I keep telling my dd ( who is utterly unfazed by whole thing ) that even if she doesnt get in just think of all the new vocab she has learnt and how much that will help back at school in yr 6 ( and sneakily help wiht her scholarship exams for her current indie school ) . she thinks its hilarious that she might do better in those because of work we have done these holidays ( which has been little !)
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

My DS sat the test last year, and admitted that he'd guessed questions, and gave up on one maths section entirely! :shock: (he didn't tell me at the time). I think the bonus of the CEM format is that strength in one area can make up for weakness in another. I don't think he would have got through the old VR test, but with the CEM his strengths in English and NVR offset his maths, which is his weakest point.

We had drilled into him the need to keep up the pace, do the ones he could, first, and put something in an answer box if he had no idea of the right answer. There is also the issue that they cannot go back to a section once they've moved on, so they really need to pay attention and manage their time.

I genuinely did not expect him to get through, but was proud of him for trying. He starts at Tommies next week...
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

weaver, I could kiss you. That is so encouraging.
dd is now just ok for time on the others except maths. As long as we don't get a page of vocab like her last practice test, she should be fine on the English.

Well, I can't second guess, I just have to wait and see.
mar_sea

Post by mar_sea »

My dd sat the test last year and was exhausted by the end. She couldn't remember many of the questions which I interpreted at negative. When I received her results it was an absolute shock and delight to read she had passed with guaranteed places in a number of schools.
The moral is never give up hope.
Also, for revision (DIY) I concentrated on speed of work. In maths I helped her find the quickest way to perform a calculation i.e. use easy numbers wherever possible (10s and 5s). For vocabulary, I constantly encouraged the learning of new words.
I wish you all every bit of luck possible and for those that choose Stroud High School my daughter may be your year 7 buddy! :o :D :)
dams

Post by dams »

It is less than 2 weeks now. Can’t wait to get this done and dusted.. DD is appeared to be very relaxed, not sure whether this is wise or not :-)

BTW, has anyone received letters from the schools with the details of arrangements for the test day?

During the exam, will the children be notified when they have 5 mins / 1 min remaining to complete the section?
mar_sea

Post by mar_sea »

All, my dd can remember is being told 1min remaining in each section.
dams

Post by dams »

Thanks mar_sea..
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Dd did the Cem pack 1 papers 1 and 2 today and scored 82%. Ds1 was on about 93% on the vr papers this close to his exam so we can only keep working at the vocab and building her confidence. It's interesting that when we went through the papers after she immediately gave the correct answers. I am definitely beginning to worry now.
dams

Post by dams »

82% in CEM papers is a very good score, I understand that the raw score required for securing a GS place is much lower in CEM format exams compared to the GL format.

All the best to your DD.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Thanks. She looked at an old Vr paper that we found earlier when I was having a clear out and only got one wrong. Made me wish it was still vr!
I think it doesn't help that she is an older dc. Oh well, only 12 more days and it will be done :D
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.